Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Upgrading to Win Server 2003 on BES server

Hello,

I would like to upgrade to Win Server 2003 on our current BES 4.1.4 server, which is on Win 2000, but have not been able to find much help online. Should I just perform an in-place upgrade to 2003? would anyone happen to know how BES would react to this..!?  Or is it better to just start from scratch; take a backup of the BES database, format/install Server 2003, install BES and restore/import from backup?  Is there a way to do this?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Pls feel free to give suggestions!

Thanks,

VS.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: 8120, Storm, 8200

Re: Upgrading to Win Server 2003 on BES server

you are performing a knife-edge cutover of your BES.

so build your 2003 server first and then re-install BES4.1.4

How to perform a knife-edge cutover for BlackBerry Enterprise Server software versions 4.0 and 4.1

Click on KUDOS to appreciate our efforts and mark the thread RESOLVED if your issue is resolved.
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would perform a knife-edge cutover if I had a spare server, but I dont.. or maybe I can use a moderatley powerful desktop, move BES to it temporarily, setup the original server with Win 2003, and move BES back. This would be too much work..!  Can this process be adapted for a single server - after backing up the Configuration Database to an external location, can't I start from scratcg and install Win 2003 on the same server.. and proceed from there!?

If you remember from my other post, I thought of upgrading the BES server too (to Win 2003 and BES 4.1.6) only because I am migrating my Exchange to a FE/BE config anyway.. and the BES server upgrade has been on my list of things to do for some time now.

Message Edited by svinay23 on 10-31-2008 04:25 PM
Forums Veteran I
My Device: 8120, Storm, 8200

what i meant was you can follow the doc for knife-edge to gather all required info, back up db as per doc and then install WIN2003 sever (to rebuilt the same machine) and then install BES back on same machine.

you are basically performing knife-edge, the difference is your new machine is the same as existing machine.

Click on KUDOS to appreciate our efforts and mark the thread RESOLVED if your issue is resolved.
New Contributor

Yep.. thats what I thought.  Thanks, BBsingh.