Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
davsch
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Will my server support additional traffic for Professional?

Looking to add Professional to my Exchange/AntiVirus server. I will only run 4-5 BB users. The server is well over spec, we only have 50 low-medium Exchange users. Do I need to make sure it will support the additional traffic/processing?

Or the the question may be: Does Professional put much tax on the server that I need to think about putting it on a seperate server?

Thanks.

Contributor
johnnyutah

Re: Will my server support additional traffic for Professional?

I'd suggest reading the BES Pro overview page.  You'll find the recommended specs:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/software/professional.jsp

Retired
vector

Hello Davsch,

As a matter of fact, BlackBerry Enterprise Server full edition can be installed on windows SBS with Exchange.

But .....

Our recommendation is that you do not deploy BES on the same server as any other critical service server for a couple of reason

1. Sharing of hardware resources with other CPU/RAM intensive software

2. Incase of maintenence of BES, we would not want other services in your environment to be disrupted due to BES SP or MR updates

3. A MAPI subsystem re-install will be not be possible on BES running on Exchange atleast from support stand point due to the sharing of resources between MAPI by Exchange and BES.

There are many more good reasons, these are the 2 that come to mind right away.

That being said, is BES Enterprise supported with Windows SBS?

The answer is yes, please make the support associate aware of your configuration and they will keep this condition in mind before suggesting any troubleshooting steps.

The same theory applies for BES Pro, you can and may install BESPro on Exchange server, or on your DNS/DHCP/DC etc.

Please be aware of the issues when you call regarding support.

Most clients have their hardware sized for running SBS, installing BES on the same server causes latency and performance issues. These are conditions to keep in mind before deploying BES on a server running other services.

If you can provide the hardware specs of your Exchage/AV server, we might be able to collectively provide you a perspecitive that could help decide if you require additional hardware. 

Hope this helps,

New Contributor
davsch

I am going with everyones suggestions and put in a seperate server. I appreciate every ones input to help me get going and look forwrd to the forum in the future.