Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
amanoux
My Device: Not Specified

cutover upgrade 4.0 to 4.1

My current BES server is Win2000 with SQL 2000 Standard.  Can I do a cut over upgrade to Win2003 with SQL 2005?  Or does the SQL version have to remain the same as the original installation?

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: cutover upgrade 4.0 to 4.1

[ Edited ]

First do SQLRead it carefully, I have done this too but MSDE. Just log in to SSMS as BESadmin when doing the DBcreate.exe and restore. And dont forget procedure 1

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB12247&slic...

After a day

Backup SQL DB

Then do the upgrade to 4.1.6

after a few day and all is ok then do Knife edge cutover.

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB10278&slic...

I have done the cutover before, not to bad to do

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=BlackBerryEnterpriseSolution&thread.i...

Do the steps in a few day will be better than doing in one shot and finding out your issue.

Message Edited by knottyrope on 03-13-2009 11:16 AM

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
amanoux
My Device: Not Specified

Thank you for your help. I am still a little unclear on a few steps.

I have installed Windows 2003 Server on a new machine and installed all OS patches. I've installed SQL 2005 Server on the new server and installed SQL patches.  I've backed up the BES database (SQL version 2000) that was on the original Blackberry server and restored it to my new BES server (SQL version 2005).  I've also made sure all permissions both Windows and SQL are correct.

Now do I install version 4.0 on the new server to match the version on the original server and then connect to the restored database, and then upgrade the new server to version 4.1?

Or can I immediately install version 4.1 on the new server and connect to the restored database and be finished?

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

backup Db and install 4.1 on old server when all is set for  afew days then knife edge to new hardware. 

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.