Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Address Book Sync Issues

We just installed the free single CAL of BPS yesterday and everything seems for the most part to be running smoothly. However, the device we tried it on is not syncing with the Exchange address book. The address book sync is turned on and everything else (i.e. calendar, tasks, etc.) appear to be syncing just fine. Anybody else run into this issue?

One of thing. We plan on deploying this organization wide to each of our sales reps who currently use either the Desktop Redirector or Internet Services to sync up with Exchange. Their address books in Outlook are configured into separate folders because they are synced up with our CRM program in one folder and then that folder plus one or two more are selected to sync with the BlackBerry device. Is there any way to control folder level selection of what syncs up with the devices using BPS or does it just grab everything? I just need to control that certain contacts/etc. don't wind up syncing back into our CRM system as customers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9700

Re: Address Book Sync Issues

Hi tbuffington,

Are there any warnings regarding this first user in the Application Log (eventvwr) on the server which houses the BPS?  Are the user's contacts on the Exchange Server in the folder called "Contacts" or sub-folders of this folder?

For your second question, sub-folders of the Contacts folder within Exchange are synchronized by default, but this can be disabled by following the instructions in the following article:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB03898

There is no way to specify which folders are synchronized - all sub-folders or no sub-folders.

Thank you!

Do you have questions about your BlackBerry smartphone?

Go to mobile.blackberry.com on your BlackBerry smartphone to enter your question and get instant answers!
New Contributor

I checked my event logs and there are no warnings from the BPS server. The users contacts are all under the Contacts folder. There aren't any subfolders.

In regards to the syncing of sub-folders, does the BPS software keep the folder structure intact when syncing. For instance, if in Exchange I have my main Contacts folder and a subfolder called Customers. Will the contacts in each subfolder stay there or will they get bunched together in Outlook/Exchange after syncing? My main concern is that we use a sync from our CRM software which syncs up with just a single subfolder in Exchange. I don't want anything other than whats in the subfolder going to our CRM software so I want to avoid personal contacts and other things flowing over to this folder during a sync if you know what I mean.

Thanks for your help!

Retired

Hi tbuffington,

For the user whose contacts are not synchronizing properly, I would recommend deleting the Desktop[SYNC] service book on their device (Options - Advanced Options - Service Book) and then re-sending this from the BlackBerry Enterprise Server to ensure that it comes across.  Once this is done, please verify on the device under Address Book that Wireless Synchronization is set to "Yes".

The folder structure, although not visible on the BlackBerry Smartphone, is maintained in a way. 

If a contact is synchronized from a sub-folder of Contacts within Exchange, this contact will appear in the same list as all of the other contacts, but if it is modified, the change will affect the item in the sub-folder.

When contacts are in subfolders, we recommend setting categories for these contacts, so that the contacts do not blend in as much on the device.

Go to mobile.blackberry.com on your BlackBerry smartphone to enter your question and get instant answers!
New Contributor

Thanks Brodie.

I'll give that shot and see if it works. Is there any way to define the time between syncs? The user's battery is draining quicker now that we switched to using the BPS software I'm assuming because it's syncing more. Not a huge deal, but just curious.

Highlighted
Retired

Hi tbuffington,

Sync time is not configurable.  Whenever changes are made on either side, those changes should be communicated to the other side.

Battery life will definitely be decreased by more radio traffic, but radio traffic should only increase during an Enterprise Activation, and while making changes.

Thank you!