Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: 8830 Curve
My Carrier: Sprint

BES Express working, contacts problem

Hello all,

We put in BES Express and got it all working a week ago.  That is until I deleted one of our contact folders...  Now I can't create a new subfolder in contacts.

Is this a limitation of BES Express, or is it a setting I haven't yet found in the interface?

The symptom is that when I create a new subfolder in Outlook contacts, the contacts in the new folder are not synchronized.

However the contacts in the default folder are synched.

This is how I have deployed shared contacts in the past.  By dropping a contact folder under the user's regular contacts folder.  Worked fine before we 'downgraded' to BES Express.

The odd thing is that for any subfolder that predates the installation, synchronization of contacts is working.

We just can't create new subfolders.

And of course I hate to annoy the executives with this kind of thing.

Clues?

--
Change your mind and you can change your reality...
New Contributor

Re: BES Express working, contacts problem

Got this working, it turns out that our BES does not automatically sync a new contact folder.

It has to be checked in the email settings.

I'd like to sync a public contact folder - which I see others have done.  But I'd also like to see that it works properly Smiley Surprised  There seem to be some issues with it garbling contact data...

If anyone has a link to a document that explains wireless sync of public folders, I'd be interested.

Thank You!

--
My Device: Not Specified

I'm having similar difficulties with subfolders within contacts.  How did you include them for synchronization?

New Contributor

Hi DaYipper,

Unfortunately the contact subfolders are not included by default when they are created. (It would be cool to find out how to change that...)  The ones that existed when the server was stood up do synchronize.

What you can do is either have the user check the folder for sync under their Web Desktop Manager login, or change the setting user by user from Blackberry Administration.

From Manage Users - Click on the User - Default Configuration (Under Messaging Configuration) - Edit User - Email Tab - Scroll down to private contact folders.  Note that if you click on the little black dot it is a drop down list and you can see and select the subfolders.  If you're not in edit mode it looks exactly the same except the checkbox is greyed out.  (Just select Edit user if that happens to you like it did to me.)

Good luck,

Rich

--
Highlighted
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

BES will sync all subfolders in contacts that are present when you create a user.

After creating a user you must tell BES via DM or BAS to sync that newly created subfolder.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V