Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: BES/SBE/BPS 4.x upgrade options to BES Express 5.0

Then when you are done moving users to BES 5 follow this

How to migrate the BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.0 from Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 or 2007 to M...

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Contributor
smitty42
My Device: Blackberry 9630
My Carrier: Verizon

yes, I am reading that now, just one question not really addressed in that article:  move the besadmin mailbox from EX07 to EX10 first before the others or last after everyone else or move all blackberry enabled mailboxes at once?

Tour 9630 handhelds
BES Express 5.0.3
SQL 2005 Express
Server 2008 R2 (no SP)
Exchange 2010 SP1
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

smitty42 wrote:

yes, I am reading that now, just one question not really addressed in that article:  move the besadmin mailbox from EX07 to EX10 first before the others or last after everyone else or move all blackberry enabled mailboxes at once?

Move BESAdmin before everyone, you can move the uses over after.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
smcnetserv
My Device: 9630

[ Edited ]

First of all - Great post! Now a few questions: I'm running BPS 4.1 on a separate VM and need to upgrade to BESX 5 before EX2010 deployment.

1. Would you recommend using the same VM or creating a new VM with the new DB and using Transporter to move users?

2. What's the exact impact on users when they are transported? I mean everything should be resynced once they're moved to the BESX server, correct?

3. Generally, based on my scenario, what would be the recommended path to take?

4. I understand about BES , but do I need to decommission BPS after the new besx server is in place?

Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
smitty42

[ Edited ]

smcnetserv: I recently moved from BPS 4.1.4 w/ Exchange 2007 to BESX 5.0.2 w/ Exchange 2010.  it seems duanting but is actually pretty simple.

1) I am not 100 percent sure, but I don't think you will be able to install BESX on the same VM that you already have BPS on.  I used another machine for BESX.

2) all of my handhelds were newish (within two years) and suffered no effects whatsoever from being Transported from BPS to BESX.

The recommended process is:  install the new BESX with a new database using the same service account/service mailbox on another VM, then use the Transporter to move all of the BB users from BPS to BESX (recommend installing the Transporter on a separate machine from either BES or BPS), then move the BESADMIN mailbox to the Exchaneg 2010 server then move all the BB user mailboxes to exchange 2010.

Some issues I ran into were:  BESX Admin service initially refused to run after installation.  Had to uninstall some Windows Updates:  

Hotfix for MS10-021 related to Microsoft KB979683 Hotfix for MS10-047 related to Microsoft KB981852 Hotfix for MS11-011 related to Microsoft KB2393802 (recheck after each uninstall for the others, the newest one superceded the older ones which means the older one(s) reappeared in the "installed updates" list after uninstalling the newer one)

The BESAdmin account had to have approriate Exchange 2010 permissions applied to open exchange 2010 mailboxes http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB02276

some users contacts stopped syncing after moving the mailboxes to 2010, i deleted the Desktop [sync] service book from the affected handhelds and the contacts sync returned to normal.

Tour 9630 handhelds
BES Express 5.0.3
SQL 2005 Express
Server 2008 R2 (no SP)
Exchange 2010 SP1
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
smcnetserv

Thanks, smitty!

In #1 i meant to wipe BPS and install BESX on same VM, not both products together. :smileyhappy:  But i guess it would be easier to use transporter than to recreate users from scratch.

Where do you download the Transporter?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
smitty42

first, if you want to re-use the same VM take a look this BTSC KB: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB25679.  this is the "supported" method to migrate from BPS to BESX.

second, the Transporter is part of the BES Resource Kit but is a separate download:  https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=D736BB10D83A904AEFC1D6CE93DC54B8

Tour 9630 handhelds
BES Express 5.0.3
SQL 2005 Express
Server 2008 R2 (no SP)
Exchange 2010 SP1
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
smcnetserv

[ Edited ]

Thank you, again!  Those are great resources.

As I read the upgrade article, it says to uninstall MSDE and SQL 2005 Exp will be installed along with the product.  I already have SQL 2005 Exp, do you think it'll be cleaner if I uninstall it or should I just leave it alone?

Please use plain text.
Barkus
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Have combed through this topic but can't find the answer I'm looking for.

We're currently running BES 4.x on Exchange 2000 on Windows Server 2000 standard.  I'm trying to get all of our servers upgraded which includes all Microsoft pieces (Exchange, SQL, AD, etc.).  I was hoping that BES was one piece I could take care of myself.  I talked to RIM and they assured me that I could isntall BESX 5 on a new server and point it to my Exchange 2000 machine without problem and run the two concurrently so I could transition all of our users gradually.  

My question is, When I started installing BESX 5 on the new server (Srv2008 R2 64-bit) it started barking at me about installing the CDO piece but I'm somewhat hesitant to download and install the MAPI Client and CDO 1.2.1 because of the fact that we're running Exchange 2000.  I've read in a couple places that it's "believed" that the CDO piece just has to be an equal to or greater than version than what's running on your current Exchange to suffice.  

When I came on here I inherited this entire environment so I'm very reluctant when it comes to any pieces that I didn't personally impliment.  Furthermore, we're currently running BES on our Exchange server which, with the new environment, I'm trying to get away from.  

There's plenty of "gotcha" factors involved in doing this but I haven't read about anyone that's running BESX 5 installed on Server 2008 R2 64-bit with an Exchange 2000 mail server.  Thank you in advance and I apologize in advance if this was covered somewhere and I just missed it.  

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
smcnetserv

I have 30 users in my BPS right now... Does anyone know how long it will take for the transporter to move all to the BESX?

Please use plain text.