Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Guru III
knottyrope
My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: BES/SBE/BPS 4.x upgrade options to BES Express 5.0

Check your BES version number

1) Go to the Add or Remove Programs Control Panel applet (Start > Run > appwiz.cpl )

2) Locate the reference to "BlackBerry Enterprise Server", select it and then click "Click here for support information.".

3) The publisher listed should be "Research In Motion" and the Version will be the exact version of BES currently installed.

Also you can learn more about the MR level with the bundle number too.

Let us know what Bundle you have

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info. SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

No Sleep Till BlackBerry 10, A BlackBerry Song by Lil E Click here to listen

See me at BlackBerry Fans Get Hands-On BlackBerry 10 Demo

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ccoho

Ok, my version in add/remove is listed as 4.1.4 (Bundle 183).

Thank you for your help

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Bundle 183 is BPS and SP4 is the latest.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info. SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ

Please use plain text.
bigjon99
My Carrier: Verizon

I believe all my questions have been answered .. but I feel I must post to be sure I'm clear.  I'm new on the job at a new company and don't want to start off on the wrong foot!  :smileywink:  On a separate note, I recently stepped away from the Blackberry world .. no longer using one.  While I love my new phone, it doesn't touch the BB for email and calendar.  Anyways .....

BES 4.1.7 (Bundle 27) is running on a dedicated win2k3 server.  Based on what I've read in this post (thank you for the great info, by the way), I plan to build a new win2k3.r2 vm, install besx5 on it, and use the transporter to migrate users 1 at a time at their leisure.

Again, based on the information in this post, this should be easey-peasey-lemon-squeezey.  No?

Thanks in advance!

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope

If your new BES is tested and working fine, it can be easy.

Devices on OS 4.3 are going to be an issue, read up on using transporter and its limits.

Might be a good time to get a BB so you can support the system better. It has helped me out alot.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
smitty42
My Carrier: Verizon

:smileyhappy: wow, awesome thread, exactly what i have been looking for to move from BPS 414 on WinS2k3 to BESX on WinS2k8.  a general question if anyone knows:

when is support for BPS ending (how muhc longer do i have to make the move)?

Tour 9630 handhelds
BES Express 5.0.3
SQL 2005 Express
Server 2008 R2 (no SP)
Exchange 2010 SP1
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
zdundore
My Carrier: AT&T

[ Edited ]

Great source on migrating the software but it leaves me with one question:

we are currently on BPS 4.1.4 build 183 and would like to move to BESX 5 but i would like to perform this move without wiping the handhelds.  Could you go into more detail on how to accomplish this?  Curretly the existing BPS is installed on a Win2k3 running Exchange 2k3.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope

zdundore wrote:

Great source on migrating the software but it leaves me with one question:

we are currently on BPS 4.1.4 build 183 and would like to move to BESX 5 but i would like to perform this move without wiping the handhelds.  Could you go into more detail on how to accomplish this?  Curretly the existing BPS is installed on a Win2k3 running Exchange 2k3.

look at first post of this thread

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ccoho

[ Edited ]

I'm sorry if I missed this somewhere, but I read through the thread and didn't see this.  I'm in the process of installing BES Express on my new exchange server.  I have not yet moved any mailboxes to this exchagne server.  I am at the point in BES install - "MAPI Settings" - where it wants my Exchange server info.  I assume for exchange server I need to enter NewServerName, but what about mailbox?  Do I need to create a new BES mailbox or should I use the same mailbox I used in 4.1?  If I enter NewServerName and OldMailbox Name and click "Check Name", it automatically changes the server name to be OldServerName, I'm assuming this is because that is where that mailbox is stored.  Should I move that mailbox to the new server?  Will that cause issues with BES 4.1 continuing to work?  Can I install as OldServerName and OldMailboxName and later change these once I've moved all users?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Contributor
oneInTen
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I'm leaning toward implementing option C. Does the new BES installation has to be installed on it's own domain? Reading the description of the Tranporter tool: "Used to move one or more user accounts from a BlackBerry Domain to a different BlackBerry Domain"

That confuses me a bit.  Any thoughts?

Thanks

Please use plain text.