Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Reply
Contributor
oneInTen
Posts: 12
Registered: ‎10-17-2008
My Device: Tour 9630
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Re: BES/SBE/BPS 4.x upgrade options to BES Express 5.0

Thanks for the quick reply.

 

If something goes wrong during the migration, can the user still use his old profile on the BES 4.1 or do they have to wipe the device and resynch?

 

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
Posts: 29,741
Registered: ‎06-25-2008
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: BES/SBE/BPS 4.x upgrade options to BES Express 5.0

you can use transporter to move the user back to old server

 




Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!


Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.


SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope


Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here


BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008


Please use plain text.
Contributor
oneInTen
Posts: 12
Registered: ‎10-17-2008
My Device: Tour 9630
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Re: BES/SBE/BPS 4.x upgrade options to BES Express 5.0

Ok, thanks much

Please use plain text.
mbu
New Contributor
mbu
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎10-14-2010
My Device: Not Specified

Re: BES/SBE/BPS 4.x upgrade options to BES Express 5.0

We have a BES 4.1.4 server connecting with a Exchange 2003 with 20 BES users.

 

Currently we put a new Exchange 2010 server into the domain, but no user mailbox is on it yet. Right now we are looking for replacing the BES 4.1.4 with BES express 75 Users edition.

 

My question is:

 

1. Where should I install the BES express? On Exchange 2010 box or on a seperate box? If I install it on a seperate box, will it still be free?

 

2. My current BES service account is Besadmin. Should I use the same Besadmin account to install BES express, or I need to create another service account for it?

 

3. If I use the same BESadmin account for BES express, I have to keep its mailbox on Exchange 2003 server until I move all of BES users' mailboxes to exchange 2010, delete them from BES 4.1.4 and recreate them on BES express. Will it affect any functionality of BES express?

 

4. How long can the BES 4.1.4 and BES express coexist in the system with their own database, managing their own BES users?

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
Posts: 29,741
Registered: ‎06-25-2008
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: BES/SBE/BPS 4.x upgrade options to BES Express 5.0


mbu wrote:

We have a BES 4.1.4 server connecting with a Exchange 2003 with 20 BES users.

 

Currently we put a new Exchange 2010 server into the domain, but no user mailbox is on it yet. Right now we are looking for replacing the BES 4.1.4 with BES express 75 Users edition.

 

My question is:

 

1. Where should I install the BES express? On Exchange 2010 box or on a seperate box? Your choice so long as you have 1.5 gig RAM free.If I install it on a seperate box, will it still be free?

 

2. My current BES service account is Besadmin. Should I use the same Besadmin account to install BES express, or I need to create another service account for it? Can use the same

 

3. If I use the same BESadmin account for BES express, I have to keep its mailbox on Exchange 2003 server until I move all of BES users' mailboxes to exchange 2010, delete them from BES 4.1.4 and recreate them on BES express. Will it affect any functionality of BES express? It shoudl not affect it when you move it.

 

4. How long can the BES 4.1.4 and BES express coexist in the system with their own database, managing their own BES users? Forever


 

 




Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!


Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.


SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope


Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here


BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008


Please use plain text.
mbu
New Contributor
mbu
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎10-14-2010
My Device: Not Specified

Re: BES/SBE/BPS 4.x upgrade options to BES Express 5.0

Thanks for the rapid reply. So I am taking plan c. Here is my plan. Please correct it if I am wrong.

 

1. Creat a new service account and have its mailbox on my Exchange 2010.

 

2. Install BES express on a new box with a new database using the new service account

 

3. Delete a BES user's account from my old BES 4.1.4 server, and wipe out the handheld device

 

4. Creat a new BES account for the deleted BES user on BES express server and resync the device

 

5. Move the user's mailbox from exchange 2003 to exchange 2010

 

6. Do it for every BES user

 

7. After all of BES users accounts have beev recreated on BES express server, decommision and uninstall the BES 4.1.4

 

The disadvantage of this plan is, the BES users can only get their last 30 days of email resynced. Is there any shortcut or any other better way that I can do it with?

 

Thanks

Please use plain text.
New Member
sockpuppet
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎10-21-2010
My Device: Not Specified

Re: BES/SBE/BPS 4.x upgrade options to BES Express 5.0

I'm currently running the 1 user Blackberry server V4.1 on a win2003 & exchange2003 server.

 

We are looking at getting another 2 blackberrys and I was wondering if instead of uninstalling BPS4.1 and installing the BESX 5.0 if I could remove the one user license from BPS4.1 and then add the BESX 5.0 license to enable me to add another 2 users? Or if there is any way to expand the BPS4.1 license to add more than 1 user?

 

 

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
Posts: 29,741
Registered: ‎06-25-2008
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: BES/SBE/BPS 4.x upgrade options to BES Express 5.0


sockpuppet wrote:

I'm currently running the 1 user Blackberry server V4.1 on a win2003 & exchange2003 server.

 

We are looking at getting another 2 blackberrys and I was wondering if instead of uninstalling BPS4.1 and installing the BESX 5.0 if I could remove the one user license from BPS4.1 and then add the BESX 5.0 license to enable me to add another 2 users? Or if there is any way to expand the BPS4.1 license to add more than 1 user?

 

 


BES Express CALs do not work on any ohter version. you can still purchase CALs for it though.

 

 




Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!


Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.


SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope


Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here


BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008


Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
Posts: 29,741
Registered: ‎06-25-2008
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: BES/SBE/BPS 4.x upgrade options to BES Express 5.0


mbu wrote:

Thanks for the rapid reply. So I am taking plan c. Here is my plan. Please correct it if I am wrong.

 

1. Creat a new service account and have its mailbox on my Exchange 2010.

 

2. Install BES express on a new box with a new database using the new service account

 

3. Delete a BES user's account from my old BES 4.1.4 server, and wipe out the handheld device

 

4. Creat a new BES account for the deleted BES user on BES express server and resync the device

 

5. Move the user's mailbox from exchange 2003 to exchange 2010

 

6. Do it for every BES user

 

7. After all of BES users accounts have beev recreated on BES express server, decommision and uninstall the BES 4.1.4

 

The disadvantage of this plan is, the BES users can only get their last 30 days of email resynced. Is there any shortcut or any other better way that I can do it with? Better way is to use transporter and move users over to the new BES server which is supported in SP2

 

Thanks


 

 




Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!


Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.


SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope


Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here


BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008


Please use plain text.
New Contributor
packy
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎10-26-2010
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Telstra

Re: BES/SBE/BPS 4.x upgrade options to BES Express 5.0

HI all,

 

I am the Blackberry admin for my work and I am trying to migrate users from our old BES 4.0.7.8 machine to a new BESX 5.0.2 server. The install is all done and working fine for new users that I activate on the new BESX server, however the Transporter isn't working for me. When I try and connect to the existing BES 4.0.7.8 SQL database, I get the following error.

 

Unable to initialize the source database! Please check the settins and re-test the connection.

 

Error: Specified cast is not valid.

 

I've tested the credentials for the old database and it comes up successful, is there something wrong with my existing database or am I going about it the complete wrong way?

 

Any help would be greatly appreciated :smileyhappy:

 

 

Please use plain text.