Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
packy
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Telstra

Re: BES/SBE/BPS 4.x upgrade options to BES Express 5.0

I can log into the database with SQL Management Studio fine, the connection test in Transporter passes ok but it just doesn't connect. It's been driving me up the wall cause I need to migrate our users across.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
packy

OK, so it looks like I've found the problem. We took a copy of the existing BES 4 database and restored it to another database server and ran a trace on it when I was trying to connect with the transporter. We found that one of the SQL queries it was running was returning a NULL result and it didn't like it. The field that was returning the NULL was to do with server build time and create time, we modified the table to include the correct time as per one of the other fields and it connected with no errors.

I'm in the middle of rebuilding the BESX server so once that is complete I will try moving a user from the old BES to the new one and I will post back here.

Cheers.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
packy

Ok, so I was right, we updated the table in the SQL database that was returning a NULL result and tried the transporter and it worked like a charm. I've migrated 2 users (including myself) and so far no problems. Let's hope it stays that way :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
leroyplock
My Device: Not Specified

Thanks everyone for this excellent thread.

I have an environment running Blackberry manager 4.1.4.15 with Exchange 2003 sp2. (separate machines).

I need to get them to Exchange 2010 and all new hardware.

I believe I understand from the messages in this forum that the following steps will work, but was hoping for confirmation.

1. Install BES Express 5.0.2 on a new machine (separate from Exchange). Point it at the Exchange 2010 server with a new admin account/mailbox.

2. Use transporter to move user from Blackberry Professional to BES Express.

3. Move user's mailbox to Exchange 2010.

4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 for remaining users.

5. Uninstall Blackberry Professional, shutdown Exchange 2003. (Use proper methodology for clean removal of exchange 2003.)

Is this correct? Will the user's blackberry remain in communication throughout? I'm not clear if after step 2 but before step 3 if the device will be communicating.

Thank you so much for any corrections, clarifications, or advice.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

That will work but you dont need a second BESAdmin account, you can use the same one for both.

also this might help out too

How to migrate the BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.0 from Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 or 2007 to M... 

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
leroyplock
My Device: Not Specified

Thanks for the confirmation and the link. I want to change the account because they currently have it set using the domain admin account and I think it should be a separate besadmin account.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

leroyplock wrote:

Thanks for the confirmation and the link. I want to change the account because they currently have it set using the domain admin account and I think it should be a separate besadmin account.

Thats a good idea then.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Paul-D
My Device: .
My Carrier: .

Moved to BlackBerry App World - General Discussions.

Please use plain text.
ChadB
My Device: .

Please use plain text.
Contributor
smitty42
My Device: Blackberry 9630
My Carrier: Verizon

:Clap:  I just wanted to say that after having first read this thread 7 months ago I finally migrated my first three test accounts over from BPS 414 to BESX 502 using the transporter and everything went beautifully.  The 9630's did not even need to restart.  Now on to moving the mailboxes from EX07 to EX10..........

I will say this though, after having gotten used to the BPS admin console, trying to get used to the BESX java-web-based admin console is going to take a while.

Tour 9630 handhelds
BES Express 5.0.3
SQL 2005 Express
Server 2008 R2 (no SP)
Exchange 2010 SP1
Please use plain text.