Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

My Device: NA/Multiple

Re: BES/SBE/BPS 4.x upgrade options to BES Express 5.0

Hello,

I wanted to confirm my options before moving forward.

We are running a SBS 2008 server with a separate Windows 2003 SQL Server (SQL 2000) I have BPS installed on my SQL box not on my SBS box. I want to upgrade to BESX and ultimately have it live on the SQL box again. My understanding is that I can't install BESX on the same server as BPS even if they are using two separate databases(I assume it is because it over-rights BPS common files on install).

That said my options are:

1. Uninstall BPS, Install BESX and wipe/reassign devices on the new install.

2. Install BESX on new VM. Test/migrate users to new install. After all users are migrated I can remove BPS and install BESX on the SQL Box and use Transporter to move users from temp VM BESX to final BESX server on the SQL box.

3. Install BESX on the SBS box and test move users as needed.

I prefer option two or three as it allows me time to test and migrate users in a more controlled fashion and as the users have time. Is there a better option than those I have listed? Can I use the BPSadmin account I have set up for all the installs? If I go with option 2 do I need to make any adjustments on the Exchange/SBS server or will all the changes to permissions etc. only need to occur on the SQL box and temp VM? Are there still good reasons to keep the BESX box on a separate server than the SBS server?

Thanks for your help.

- Craig

My Device: 8310

Hello,

Can I install BES 5 in parrallell (on the same server) as the BPS 4 server assuming I create two different DBs. Would like to keep all on same server?

Thanks

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

spacedog3k wrote:

Hello,

I wanted to confirm my options before moving forward.

We are running a SBS 2008 server with a separate Windows 2003 SQL Server (SQL 2000) I have BPS installed on my SQL box not on my SBS box. I want to upgrade to BESX and ultimately have it live on the SQL box again. My understanding is that I can't install BESX on the same server as BPS even if they are using two separate databases(I assume it is because it over-rights BPS common files on install).

That said my options are:

1. Uninstall BPS, Install BESX and wipe/reassign devices on the new install.

2. Install BESX on new VM. Test/migrate users to new install. After all users are migrated I can remove BPS and install BESX on the SQL Box and use Transporter to move users from temp VM BESX to final BESX server on the SQL box.

3. Install BESX on the SBS box and test move users as needed.

I prefer option two or three as it allows me time to test and migrate users in a more controlled fashion and as the users have time. Is there a better option than those I have listed? Can I use the BPSadmin account I have set up for all the installs? If I go with option 2 do I need to make any adjustments on the Exchange/SBS server or will all the changes to permissions etc. only need to occur on the SQL box and temp VM? Are there still good reasons to keep the BESX box on a separate server than the SBS server?

Thanks for your help.

- Craig

I prefer separate sever, although all your options will work it is your choice.

You can use same service account.

Permission to log on locally and run as service will need to be done if installing on SBS.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

gabe406 wrote:

Hello,

Can I install BES 5 in parrallell (on the same server) as the BPS 4 server assuming I create two different DBs. Would like to keep all on same server?

Thanks

That will knot work. You need a different server to install it on, but both can run in parallel.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Hi,

Thanks for an excellent thread.

I have a BES version 4.1.3 running on SBS2003.  It is only the single user version, but now that BESx 5 offers more than one user I'm looking to upgrade to it.

Should I just un-install BES4 and follow the instructions for installing BESx?  Do I need to do anything to 'transport' the single user, or should I just recreate him (can easily resend an activation to that device).

Thanks

Paul

Guru III
My Device:

pkearney wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for an excellent thread.

I have a BES version 4.1.3 running on SBS2003.  It is only the single user version, but now that BESx 5 offers more than one user I'm looking to upgrade to it.

Should I just un-install BES4 and follow the instructions for installing BESx?  Do I need to do anything to 'transport' the single user, or should I just recreate him (can easily resend an activation to that device).

Thanks

Paul

For one user I would start fresh.

My Device: Curve 8530

[ Edited ]

Small company, 3 users. Had 8830's and BPS4. Device upgrade for all to 8530.

Tried to update one user, it is hung on "Initializing"

Would it be best to just uninstall BPS4 and then install BES?

Should I remove Users before uninstalling?

What is the downside of that?

What is a "device wipe"?

Guru III
My Device:

most likely you have an old device.xml

You can upgrade to BES express 5 if you want to.

Follow the first post in this thread fo options.

KB13589 - How to update the device.xml and vendor.xml files

New Contributor
My Device: Tour 9630

This is a great article and has possible saved me form of headache and work.  So I already have BPS and I'm going to BESE and I know that I'm going for the option C in this process to install on a different server or VM.

My situation is a bit unique than others because we will be switching servers and providers/phones at the same time.  Its just that its isn't going to be done all on one day and we want to test it ahead of time so I want it to be parallel.

So I've got three questions:

1.  Is there an issue with installing it to a DC?  I don't really want to put a VM on the mail server.

2.  In the install instructions there is an option in the express install where you put the blackberry server's name, is that not defining the domain?

3.  If I do install to a separate server should I install like it is in parts and use the old router etc that is on the current server or should I install them again on the current BPS server?

Thanks for the information, I agree the RIM could make this a little more clear, if you do a search for BlackBerry Domain and you don't already know about it you won't learn much.

Guru III
My Device:

stu130 wrote:

This is a great article and has possible saved me form of headache and work.  So I already have BPS and I'm going to BESE and I know that I'm going for the option C in this process to install on a different server or VM.

My situation is a bit unique than others because we will be switching servers and providers/phones at the same time.  Its just that its isn't going to be done all on one day and we want to test it ahead of time so I want it to be parallel.

So I've got three questions:

1.  Is there an issue with installing it to a DC?  I don't really want to put a VM on the mail server.

2.  In the install instructions there is an option in the express install where you put the blackberry server's name, is that not defining the domain?

3.  If I do install to a separate server should I install like it is in parts and use the old router etc that is on the current server or should I install them again on the current BPS server?

Thanks for the information, I agree the RIM could make this a little more clear, if you do a search for BlackBerry Domain and you don't already know about it you won't learn much.

1 yes supported

2 it is defining the BlackBerry domain3 Not supported with BPS from what I have read. make them all BES express 5 components. you can also have up to 5 BES Express servers sharing the same database.