Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

BES Sync SDK 4.1.2

I've installed BES Sync SDK 4.1.2 on my Windows 7 x64 machine in VirtualXP Mode (The installer crashes on W7). There was a problem with providing a password during the installation which was already mentioned in another thread but it is solved now.

So I would like to try the sample on the BB device simulator + MDS simulator. Following the guide on page 25 I've started the BlackBerry Manager (bbmgrw32.exe) to add the simulator's PIN but was asked to enter a license key (I think a BES licence key). I've tried the one I got for BES 5.0.1 Express but it is not recognized.

So which license key I can use for the tests? And is the BES Sync SDK 4.1.2 compatible with new BES 5.0 version at all?

Please use plain text.
Developer

Re: BES Sync SDK 4.1.2

I'm trying get it working together with the BES 5.0.1 Express. Just wanted to test the SyncSDKSample and the connector app seems to run, but the contacts are not synchronized.

Here what I did:

Created a new Database "SyncSDKSample" with the 2 tables from the sample on the same SQL Server where BES has its DB. Added a registry key "SDKDatabaseName:smileyfrustrated:yncSDKsample" in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Database

Stopped the BES Sync Service and used ConnectorInstall tool to install the SampleConnector.dll. Then populated the SyncConfigDefault table using the same tool.

Started the BES Sync Service and the SampleConnectorApp.exe. The connection to RPC server was established, the XML received from the SyncServer.

But any chages either in the OTA Sync Demo on the BB device, or on the server database are just ignored. The SampleConnectorApp is just printing "No record change detected" all the time.

So any ideas why there is no synchronization?

Please use plain text.
New Developer
New Developer
bkv

Was you able to solve the problem?

Please use plain text.
Developer

No. Work on other project now. Don't waste time and think about alternatives...

Please use plain text.
Developer
kskinner
My Device: 8350i Curve

Hi,

I've been trying to get the OTA Sync Demo working myself as it seems to be a perfect way to handle data transfer between a db and a BB device.  Here's what I've run into so far:

I'm running the JDE 4.6.1, the latest Sync Server SDK and using the 4.6.1.79 8350i simulator

1.  You are correct that it can't run on Win7 due to the fact that Microsoft in it's infinite wisdom replaced a required service with an improved version, thus not allowing the Sync Server SDK to run properly.  I think it was the NTLM service.  I've seen some entries in a Google search that talk about enabling NTLM in Win7, but since I found an older machine I didn't investigate.

2.  I had an older laptop that was still running XP that I loaded everything on with no problem.  Everything runs well, but I too get the "no record change detected" message.  I can change the db on the simulator and also on the SQL Express db that came with the Sync SDK, but they won't sync with each other.

3.  The problem appears to be due to the fact that the simulator device will not complete the enterprise activation.  I've gone through all the steps in the OTA Sync Demo instructions, but when I add the simulator's pin number to the BES manager that came with the Sync SDK, it just list the status of the device as "Initializing". 

I've tried setting the simulator to "USB Cable Connected" to make sure it is available for the BES running on the laptop.  After I do that, it shows up in the BES Local Ports (Device Management) screen with the correct PIN number.  But when I click on it and then select "Load Handheld", I get an error message "There are no defined configurations".  The status of that entry states "Connected".

If I go into the simulator under the advanced options and try the enterprise activation from there, it requires an email address (obviously) to attempt the activation.  But of course since I don't have this hooked up to a Lotus Notes system I'm not sure what to give it (I have limited experience with the BES admin side)

I have access to BB tech support and called to see what their opinion was.  They seemed to think that the test BES that came with the Sync SDK needs to have an actual email system to hook up with in order to complete the simulator enterprise activation.  The SRP Host entry in the properties area of the BES server entry is blank.  I can't say I disagree with their opinion, but since I don't have a test Notes system to play with, I didn't want to try and hook it up to our production system.

Before I go to the trouble of trying to find a way to set up a test Domino server I thought I would post this to see if anyone had any ideas.  I really thought I was probably just missing a setup option somewhere that would allow the simulator to successfully go through the enterprise activation with out having to hook up with an external system.  This would be an extreme help if I could get the demo to work and apply that option to a project I'm currently working on.  Thanks in advance.

Please use plain text.
Developer
kskinner
My Device: 8350i Curve

Got back from DEVCON 2010 and was able to find out more about why the Sync Server SDK demo is not working (also known as the "OTA Sync Demo" in the JDE package).  Apparently there has been a change either in the simulator or the RIM connection that doesn't allow a data connection to establish between the simulator and RIM's infrastructure.  Unfortunately, this is needed in order to accomplish enterprise activation with the test BES that's included with the Sync Server SDK.

So the simulator never completes enterprise activation which prevents the OTA Sync Demo from synchronizing the database on the simulator to the test database on the PC.  We tried this on several different JDEs with several different simulators (some on the IDEN network and some on the Edge network).  The guys I spoke with at DEVCON said they would look into it further once they got back to RIM to try and correct the issue, so there's still a chance it could come back to life.

I'll continue to look into this and update this post for anyone that tries to get the OTA demo to function.  If anyone is succesful in getting this to run, please add to the post so I can test it myself.  Since I haven't seen the demo running and have never tried to create one of the "connectors", I can't say that this is the best method of keeping a database on a device updated with a database on a server.  However, if it works well, I would think many people would benefit from getting it to work.

Please use plain text.