Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9700 running 6.0.0.418

BESX 5.0.2 - SMS logging available or not?

Hi all,

I've reviewed the docs and the forums, and it's still not clear to me whether BESX 5.0.2 supports PIN and SMS logging or not. I have a VM install of BESX that i upgraded to 5.0.2, and now there is a tab for PIM sync in policy editing, but there is only one option, to enable or disable PIM sync as a whole. Is there something I'm missing? Any help appreciated greatly. Thanks!

Regular Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900

Re: BESX 5.0.2 - SMS logging available or not?

Yes you have to add this DWORD to the registry with the value zero

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Logging Info\Backup Connector\DisableSMSAuditLogging = 0

Then you reboot and you'll have a csv file with the log the same goes for PIN etc with the value below

"DisablePINAuditLogging"=dword:00000000
"DisablePhoneCallAuditLogging"=dword:00000000
"DisableBBMContactAuditLogging"=dword:00000000
"DisableBBMMessageAuditLogging"=dword:00000000

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8520

I have the same problem - no logging of PIN, BBM, SMS or phone calls.

The registry keys you mention were already created but were set to '1' so I set them to '0' and rebooted. The log files were then created but are always empty (either zero bytes or just a single line containing the column definitions).

I'm running 5.0.2.29 and 'Disable All Wireless Syncronization' is set to 'no' in PIM Synchronization in the IT policy for the device (Blackberry Curve 8520).

Grateful for assistance - I have exhausted all previous forum posts, have searched through all the Blackberry Enterprise Server Express documentation and have not found any KB articles except that which mentions the registry keys above. 

Are there device specific settings that enable this auditing? I'm using the Orange PAYG BIS plan.

Many thanks.

Regular Contributor

I have the same problem. I only get the PhoneCallLog_YYYYMMDD.CSV updated. The other one are empty. From what I see in the SyncBackupRestore table the SMS Messages are not backed up either. Something doesn't work. And it seems to be because the PIM Synchronisations options are missing. The disable all wireless synchronisation do not work properly.

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9700 running 6.0.0.418

I did add the regkeys as described above and the log files are now created but not populated, as others describe. The whole thing is a mess.

Regular Contributor

For now SMS logging is not available. Only phone call log logging is. This express version is kind of frustrating.

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8520

I put a support call in to RIM.

The first person I spoke to told me it wasn't possible to audit calls in BESx. When I pointed the technician to the Policy Guide, which states:

When you change this rule, wireless synchronization of all logging on the BlackBerry device, including phone call logs, PIN message logs, and SMS message logs, is turned off, and log information is not available for compliance purposes

he agreed that it seems to suggest that logging should be possible (why, otherwise, would it mention disabling it?). After another hour, his colleague confirmed that audit logs aren't available in the express version.

I then received an e-mail from RIM, totally out of the blue, stating that it is possible to log using BESx:

From BES Express you should only need the default registry setting. Modifying the registry was something that was done in 4.1 version of BES. The additional IT policy settings were removed in BES Express, and have been combined in to just the one setting.

One thing to keep in mind is that PIN and SMS logging is not logged in real time like it is for mailflow. It is only logged when a wireless backup is done. This potentially can take many hours after the actual message is sent.

If you require further assistance, please reply to this message.

When I replied pointing out that the registry settings definitely weren't set to log by default, and asking what other policy settings I needed, I got a final response from RIM confirming that BESx does not support auditing:

While the Registry entry you modified does indeed enable auditing and instruct the BES to create the log files on a daily basis, it is the BlackBerry smartphone that actually sends the SMS, PIN and Phone data up at regular intervals. The IT Policy is what instructs the handheld to perform this operation therefore no data will be sent to the BES and written to the hard drive.

Unfortunately, the IT Policies that are required are not included in BES Express so there would be no method available to enable this feature.

So the consensus seems to be that it isn't possible, but RIM clearly don't have a clue themselves either.

Sad days.

him the 

Regular Contributor

From looking at the SyncBackupRestore the problem is not with the registry settings but the fact that the "Disable All Wireless Synchronization" IT policy does not include those IT policies:

"Disable PIN Messages Wireless Synchronization"

"Disable SMS Messages Wireless Synchronization"

but it does include:

"Disable Phone Call Log Wireless Synchronization"

So I have the Call Log being backed up OTA but not the rest and so the log files are not updated accordingly. This is not good as the "Disable All Wireless Synchronization" should include "Disable PIN Messages Wireless Synchronization" and "Disable SMS Messages Wireless Synchronization". So they should either add those two missing IT policies in the next update. With 5.0.1.5 if you added those two policies you had the log files and the OTA backed up.