Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: 8xxx & 9xxxx
My Carrier: bouygues / orange / SFR

BESX 5.x and Java updates - beware

Beware that when updating java to 7 / 45 (and sometimes even earlier version) you will lose BAS (blackberry administration service) connectivity - cannot find website.  This applies to updates on the win server installation containing BESX, standalone and on the same server.

Depending on your configuration, this may happen with or without "java recommended un-install of previous versions".

The fix is provided here: http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/viewdocument.do;jsessionid=A8CD2118A122FED2B9C4244DA2DAB114?...

You can also remove all java, reboot, and re-install exactly the same besx to automatically correct the issue (this will reinstall the java version and paths delivered originally).

To avoid the problem, don't update java on the besx installed server, unless you can manage the paths / versions and don't un-install previous java.

If you haev the issue, you'll see MDS and besx admin services impossible to start and returning fancy errors if you attempt to manually start them (erro 1067 and error 6 etc).

Hope this will help, I spent several hours to correct this problem on 4 different besx installations with besx that I currently manage.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: BESX 5.x and Java updates - beware

BES isnt the only thing affected by Java Updates.

We have a banking app, ICS app and a shipping app that will not work with newer or older versions of java.

Years ago i had an issue with a java app with an expired run time cert after rebooting from a windows update

http://www.rm.com/Support/TechnicalArticle.asp?cref=TEC472848&nav=0

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor

Hello,

One banking application I know (issuer BP RIves de Paris)  uses a java applet to allow users validate operations by means of a certificate stored on smart card / hw token.  SInce java 7 update 45, it became impossible to use the token, as the applet accessing the token is not secure enough. It's been 3 weeks wince we have given a heads-up to the bank, they do not seen to care ! Most users don't follow updates ... so the bank a an insignificant amoiut of people raising the problem,

For those hit by this issue: reduce the java security level from high or medium to low - not recommended and you'll be able to continue using the applet.

Funny, though: reduce the security level when you do payements, or you cannot do them !

Hope this helps someone ....

Contributor

and another one bites the dust thanks to JAVA 7 / 45 : SYMANTEC fileconnect, used to download software from the well-known security company.  They have not had the time to check their scripts since juin 2013 when the java update was released .... so if you have the last java, you're unable to dwld your licences and software unless once again if you lessen the security level to minumum and use manually entrered URLs.

Not a good sign for a company whose main business is security ....

I now suspect all kind of similar trouble with Java applets from various other places ....

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Java is a pain to deal with and its not only a BlackBerry issue

big issue is that java has so many updates at times no one can keep up with them all

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V