Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
wrr123
My Device: Tour 9630
My Carrier: Verizon

BESX Application Server Starts and then Stops

When trying to access the BESX Admin web page we receive "cannot display the webpage" and checking services we see that the BESX application server is not running.  Looking at the application event log, we see that BAS-AS is generating event IDs 4096 and 4098 when the server is rebooted or trying to start the service.

We have read through many suggestions and KB articles and have not found a solution.  The Java has not been updated and the path is correct in the registry.  We have verified that the user BESADMIN is a member of the correct  local groups and that the security permissions are correct on the necessary folders.

In order to help us resolve this, what other information can we provide?

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: BESX Application Server Starts and then Stops

check BAS AS log?

default location :\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerryEnterprise Server\Logs

Also look in event veiwer to seef if any errors or warnings pertain to your issue

Please post back the log info minus personal info

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Contributor
wrr123

We are not able to find the Logs folder in either the C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server or E:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server locations and the software was installed to the E: drive.  Do you have a suggestion as to where we would find the log files for v5.0.4 (Bundle 38) when not installed on the C: drive?

Below are the 2 application event viewer messages that we are receiving:

The description for Event ID ( 4096 ) in Source ( BAS-AS ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: The Java Virtual Machine has exited with a code of -1, the service is being stopped.

The description for Event ID ( 4098 ) in Source ( BAS-AS ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: BAS-AS.

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

search E drive for blackberry and you should find them

or

look in BES config in start menu to find location

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Please use plain text.
Contributor
wrr123

when looking at the BES Configuration utility Logging tab it shows

E:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\LOG\

for the log location and there are daily log folders created.  Which logs would you like to look at?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
wrr123

Looking at the last entry of the BBAS-AS log the day the service may have stopped.

{Stop Thread} [STDOUT] [INFO] Could not obtain a connection to the database. Will keep trying for another 296860ms

Doing some research this was after applying the latest patch and there may be issues with the BESADMIN account having special characters.  Is this possibly our problem?

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

yes it could be

i know that _ and { were not good to use

Please use plain text.
Contributor
wrr123

We changed our BESADMIN password to something that should meet requirements, updated and restarted all services in order, but still no luck.

Currently, it does not create a log for the BAS-AS service when it starts and fails.

I was hoping that the password would be the magic bullet to resolve this.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
wrr123

We broke down and opened a pay-per-incident yesterday and worked with BB support on the issue.  While working with the technician(s) we tried reinstalling the 5.0.4 package, installing the BAS components on a remote server, which allowed access to BESX to manage users and ruled out a DB issue, and downloading and reinstalling the Java 6 update 31 package from Oracle.  There were a few other changes here and there and several server reboots, but nothing solved the issue on the current BESX server.

After about 4 hours the technician(s) came to the conclusion that Java was broke on the current BESX system.  Today we are waiting for a call back from support in order to move the BESX installation to a new server, which hopefully will allow for us to decommission the current server in case there are more problems than what we are currently aware of.

Please use plain text.