Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
monjem
My Device: Curve 8900
My Carrier: Vodafone
Accepted Solution

BESx - Blackberry Administration Service – Application Server service, won't run, webcole page not displayed

Hello All,

First time on this forum… I have a problem with a BESx installation on a SBS 2011 server. Initially all was OK after install, added users, assigned devices, etc & emails going to their Blackberrys OK. On Monday one user had a problem with his phone so needed to swap for a different device but when I tried to access the web console (https://%servername%.renray.local:3443/webconsole/login) browser reports “cannot display the webpage”. After various checks discovered that the “Blackberry Administration Service – Application Server” service was not running so restarted. After approx. 3 minutes service stops, the BAS-AS.exe*32 process climbs to about 400k then disappears. Upon checking the %server%_BBAS-AS_01_%date%_%ver%.txt logfile the following error appears at the end of the logfile :-

[com.rim.bes.bas.util.EJBUtilities] [FATAL] [BBAS-4006] {unknown} getLocalJNDIPortFromServicePortBindingsFile could not find the local JNDI port from the line '         <binding port="" host="${jboss.bind.address}"/>', service port bindings file 'server/default/conf/service-port-bindings.xml'

After searching for this error it indicates that the …/default/conf/service-port-bindings.xml file has been changed when it hasn’t, the time stamp on the file is 09/08/2013 (format dd/mm/yyyy – UK) yet I know I accessed the web interface on 11/08/2013. I have spent the last 2 days trying to figure this out, trying all sorts of suggestions on the web including going through the .xml file checking for missing <, />, etc and can’t see what is wrong.

I am reluctant to re-install BESx as not 100% sure if it will over –write everything so will need to re-add & activate the 11 Blackberry users most of whom are sales people and are not based in the office, or if it will keep the data and just re-initialize just the program side of things.

Can anyone help please ?

Server is HP with 6 core Xeon CPU, 16GB RAM, 2 x 1TB disks (space is not an issue), OS is SBS2011 as mentioned and the BESx is 5.0.4 Bundle 38.

Many Thanks in advance,

Martin O’Neill

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: BESx - Blackberry Administration Service – Application Server service, won't run, webcole page not displayed

reboot server and if still present warn users of some down time.

you can safely uninstall and re install BES with out affecting current users but might be better to just uninstall BAS and reinstall it.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
monjem

Re: BESx - Blackberry Administration Service – Application Server service, won't run, webcole page not displayed

Hi Knottyrope,

Many Thanks for your reply.

I did a reboot soon after discovering the problem (it’s Windows !!!) but this didn’t make any difference unfortunately.

With regards to uninstalling/re-installing the BAS, I can’t seem to find how to just un-install BAS then re-install it, it seems to be all or nothing. I have looked for further information but it is very general and doesn’t go deep enough for me to be confident for it not to stop emails going to the current users and possibly having to re-configure all 11 Blackberrys again.

Can you point me to a more detailed description of the un-install/re-install procedure for BAS please ?

Many Thanks again,

Martin O’Neill

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

do you run BES in a VM?

if yes take a snapshot and then do the uninstall and reinstall of BES. all data is kept in the databasse so you wont have to mess with activations.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

also look at this KB

The BlackBerry Administration Service Application Server continues to stop and restart   

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
monjem

Hi Knottyrope,

The BESx is installed on the SB2011 sever which is physical not virtual.

I have seen the KB you mentioned but not seeing that error although I have tried the workrounds with no change to the problem unfortunately :smileysurprised:(

Many Thanks for your continued help.

I might try an un-install by starting the setup.exe and unselecting the BAS as see what happens !!!! Fingers crossed.

Martin O'Neill

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
monjem

Right – success !!!! But what a pain !!!!

I eventually uninstalled the BAS, reboot, re-install BAS, reboot, re-install the web app bits when you initially access the web page, then I actually got to use the interface I needed.

I can’t believe that in this day and age of high tech solutions that you still have to uninstall/re-install software to fix what should be a basic issue !!! Sorry rant over.

Many Thanks again for your help,

Martin O’Neill

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

its not only BES that is this way, you should have seen the hoops i jumped through just to uninstall exchange 2003 and demote the server.

My Inventory control system app and adobe acrobat which is the worst one I have to deal with

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
monjem

Sorry I wasn't just meaning BES, but Microsoft being the worst !!! Heaven help the day we have pilotless planes !!!

Thanks for your help again.

Martin O'Neill

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

your welcome and come back again

Please use plain text.