Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Regular Contributor
Randy_PSO
My Device: Curve 8330
My Carrier: Verizon
Accepted Solution

BPS and ESM on same server?

I am just now going through the pre-installation steps to install BPS. I will be installing BPS on a W2K3 utility server that is NOT my Exchange server. The pre-installation checklist requirements state I must have ESM installed, which I do have installed on my Exchange server, but NOT on the utility server where I will be installing BPS.

Do I need to install ESM on the same server where BPS will be installed?

Will this configuration be problematic down the road?

Are there other "well-known-but-not-well-documented-issues" I should be aware of before I start installing BPS?

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Randy_PSO

Re: BPS and ESM on same server?

I should mention its Excahnge 2003...
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Yes ESM has to be installed first and same SP level as exchange

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

installing ESM is knot problematic, I have it installed on my laptop as well.

As long as the 2003 server is in the same subnet and domin there should be little issue.

What else is installed on it?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Randy_PSO

nothing else installed yet but will eventually have WSUS, webtrends, and our av software management suite. This is not a dc. I'dlike to virtualize all these, but we havent gotten funding yet for a box sufficient enough to setup vmware.

are there any other "issues"others typically encounter that I may need to be aware of?

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

Putting too many services on the BPS box is knot a good idea.

At some point BPS will need a reboot and everthing else will be afected.

which AV?

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Randy_PSO

I have been using Kaspersky for a LONG time and am fairly pleased with them. I considered Sophos, and AVG. Prior to Kaspersky, I ran Panda and was VERY happy until they decided to go the "be all, do all" route that Norton and McAfee did. I will not install Norton or Mcafee av ANYTHING, anytime, anywhere. (I feel so dirty just saying their names... ugh)...

I really try hard to balance the services against the hardware and best practices. Looking at the resource usage of the apps, I think this server will perform well with the limited services I need to run. 

Thoughts?

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I run Symantec Enpoint with very little issues for lat 8 years. Maybe I am lucky.

Ok sounds like you have thing under control, let us know when it is installed and running

Please use plain text.