If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
cyberslam
My Device: Not Specified

BPS vs BES

Hi all,

We are looking at installing Blackberry in our environment and i am confused whether we should go for BPS or BES. We are using Exchange 2003. Our requirements are:

- BB for 10-12 users
- Wireless synchronization of the mails, address books and folders (subfolder,sent items, other subfolders, etc..) just like we use PDAs with Windows Mobile OS.
- More security i.e. capable of wirelessly wiping out the stolen or lost BB device.
- More control of the added user's BB Devices.
- Able to install applications.

So, looking at our requirements which solution would you guys recommend?

Also, if we go for BPS then is it okay if we install it on Exchange 2003 server it self or separate?

Thanks in advance.
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne
My Device: Bold

Re: BPS vs BES

Personally I would go with BES; because BPS doesn't currently support Rich Text Email or Remote Email lookup; both features I use heavily.  From your requirements listed however, both servers support all functionality.

That said, for the size of your environmen BPS will work fine and you can put it on the Exchange 2003 Server.  Again, I wouldn't personally put it on the Exchange server as I'm against multifunction servers; but it'll work and it'll be supportable.  If you decide to go to the BES route, BES is not supported on the Exchange Server; it needs its own box.

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
Please use plain text.
Contributor
cyberslam

thanks for your reply.

i assume from your reply that BPS can handle wireless synchronization of address books, subfolders in Outlook etc.. just like we can do using windows mobile PDAs with exchange?

btw, what are the difference between BPS and BES then?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne
My Device: Bold

Yes, it can do all the basic things you've listed.

User limits; some application integration limitation are the differences ... see: BES / BPS Comparison for details

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
Please use plain text.
Contributor
cyberslam

Thanks AndyDufresne!

Btw, is the BES or BPS also dependent on Blackberry's email network i.e. if their network goes down then ours goes down with them. ?

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
BBsingh
My Device: 8120, Storm, 8200

everything goes through RIM infrastructure and if its down, your BB's will be down as well.
Click on KUDOS to appreciate our efforts and mark the thread RESOLVED if your issue is resolved.
Please use plain text.