If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
bdwanderson
My Device: BES 5.0.4
Accepted Solution

BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express v5.0.4 (Bundle 38) BAS Login Failure (Java)...

I recently upgraded BES 5.0.3 to 5.0.4 (Bundle 38) and now when I try to login through the BlackBerry Administration Service I receive the following error:

~~~~~~~

HTTP Status 500 -
type Exception report
description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it from fulfilling this request.
exception

java.lang.NullPointerException
    org.apache.tapestry.ApplicationServlet.doService(ApplicationServlet.java:147)
    com.rim.bes.bas.web.common.BASApplicationServlet.doService(BASApplicationServlet.java:162)
    org.apache.tapestry.ApplicationServlet.doPost(ApplicationServlet.java:168)
    javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:637)
    javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)
    com.rim.bes.bas.web.common.CSRFProtectionFilter.doFilter(CSRFProtectionFilter.java:108)
    com.rim.bes.bas.web.common.ResponseHeadersFilter.doFilter(ResponseHeadersFilter.java:85)
    com.rim.bes.bas.web.common.filter.SystemStartupProgressFilter.doFilter(SystemStartupProgressFilter.java:187)
    org.jboss.web.tomcat.filters.ReplyHeaderFilter.doFilter(ReplyHeaderFilter.java:96)

note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the JBossWeb/2.0.0.GA_CP logs.
JBossWeb/2.0.0.GA_CP

~~~~~~~

Currently running Windows 2008 R2 Standard with Exchange 2010. Tried reinstalling Microsoft Messaging API and Collaboration Data Objects 1.2.1, Java(TM) 6 Update 31 and Java(TM) SE Development Kit 6 Update 31, but problem continues...

Do I have to completely removed the BES installation and reinstall or is there a possible fix without having to reinstall the BES?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
orangekeeper
My Device: z10
My Carrier: TMUK

Re: BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express v5.0.4 (Bundle 38) BAS Login Failure (Java)...

Hi there,

Do you get the login screen or do you see the 500 error when you try and open the BAS page?

Can you make a copy of your BBAS-AS logs available somehow? They're usually located in  root\Program Files (x86)\Blackberry Enterprise Server\Logs, then in a folder with today's date. You'll likely have multiple instances of BBAS-AS logs so choose the one that was logging when you replicated the fault (Or replicate again and choose the latest).

Be warned though, the BAS-AS logs can be pretty big....

Also, how much memory are the BAS-NCC and BAS-AS services using within windows? Usually, NCC will eat up around 100MB and AS can take up between 600-700MB. If it's around this mark, then at least they initialized successfully....

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
bdwanderson

Re: BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express v5.0.4 (Bundle 38) BAS Login Failure (Java)...

Thanks for your assistance!

I do get to the login screen; the error occurs when I try to login with my BES credentials. It appears to login, but returns the error within seconds of attempting to login. After the login fails with the error message, the "BlackBerry Administration Service - Application Server" service is stopped and I have to restart the service...

The BAS-NCC and BAS-AS services are using around 112MB and 540MB; the services appear to be initializing properly.

The most recent BAS-AS logs are at the following location:

http://www.4shared.com/office/WB3xrd-_/BBAS-AS_01_20130412_0016.html

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
orangekeeper
My Device: z10
My Carrier: TMUK

Hi again,

The fact that there are 16 BAS-AS logs suggest the service keeps stopping and restarting (I'm assuming you haven't performed 15 reboots today).

Near the end of each log, there is a java stack trace that begins:

(04/12 09:22:51:063):{main} [com.rim.bes.bas.util.EJBUtilities] [WARN] [BBAS-2040] {unknown} registerClusterMembershipListener Failed to register cluster membership listener, javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: null not bound

The symptoms seem to tie in with the following KB article. The log entries aren't identical, but it's close enough to suggest you have a look:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB22249

Hope this helps.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
bdwanderson

Good Day!

I followed the steps in the article you referenced (http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB22249) and the BES Server is now FULLY FUNCTIONAL again!!! I am now able to login and manage the BES Server normally, without any errors!!! :smileyhappy:

Thanks again for your assistance!!! This saved me a lot of extra work!! :smileyhappy:

Have a GREAT weekend!!!

Please use plain text.