Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
rsnooks87
My Device: N/A
My Carrier: N/A

BlackBerry MDS & FIPS

Hello all,

I'm looking to enable MDS on BES Express 5.0.3.31 in a FIPS environment, however have not been able to find any support articles on the BlackBerry website that suggests that MDS either meets FIPS as standard or if there are any required configuration changes/IT Policy rules that need to be made in order to ensure it meets FIPS.

The last thing i want to do is enable MDS and break half of the environment in doing so.

Anybody got any ideas?

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: BlackBerry MDS & FIPS

BES express was made for BYOD and it might not have everything you require to lock down your devices.

what FIPS spec do you need with MDS?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
rsnooks87

Thank you for the response knottyrope.

In answer to your question: FIPS 140-2 Compliant Encryption

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

BES does supply end to end encryption. But BES express is limited in controlling devices like Full BES can.

Last i knew, you can not force users to use on MDS only for web surfing with express.

MDS also allows intranet access which is encrypted to network shares and web servers.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
rsnooks87

Thanks knottyrope.

Do you know of any support articles that advise what the IT policy and MDS configuration needs to be to meet the FIPS Compliance i previously stated?

I don't want to just go in and blindly enable MDS without having a firm grasp on how it needs to be configured so that it doesnt break everything else which is already FIPS controlled.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

[ Edited ]

do you see this in IT policy?

FIPS 140-2 Level 2 compliance under IT Policy > Security is enabled.

The descriptions for certain IT policy rules in the BlackBerry® Administration Service mention the FIPS level IT policy rule, but the FIPS level IT policy rule is not available in the BlackBerry® Enterprise Server Express. (DT 839622)

So I am guessing that express is not FIPS enbled and you need the full version of BES.

IT Policy guide for BES 5 SP4 search FIPS in it

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=en4...

Please use plain text.