Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

tbs
New Contributor
tbs
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Blackberry Professional Software on Exchange 2003 Cluster

I recently downloaded Blackberry Professional software to install on my Exchange 2003 server.  I have completed the pre-requisites and I am about to install the software but have three concerns that I do not see addressed in the documentation / instructions.

#1 Will the Apache that is installed with the BPS conflict with IIS that is running my OWA?

#2 Is Blackberry Professional Software designed or supported to work on Active/Passive clusters? or simply put, is it cluster aware?

#3 If the the answer to #2 is "yes" then is it simply a matter of installing the software on the Active node, failing over then installing it on the passive (now active [after failover]) node?  Do I need to install the software on both nodes or can I just install it on the active and copy the binaries to the passive node??

These are probably easy to answer, but I need to be comfortable before I install any software in my Exchange environment.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Roger3

Re: Blackberry Professional Software on Exchange 2003 Cluster

Wow, I just registered on this forum to ask this exact question!  Thanks TBS. 
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I dont see cluster mentioned here.

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/software/professional_exchange_ver_january09.pdf

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne
My Device: Bold

I've put my responses in line with your questions ...

tbs wrote:

I recently downloaded Blackberry Professional software to install on my Exchange 2003 server.  I have completed the pre-requisites and I am about to install the software but have three concerns that I do not see addressed in the documentation / instructions.

#1 Will the Apache that is installed with the BPS conflict with IIS that is running my OWA?

>> BPS installs apache?  First I've heard of it.

#2 Is Blackberry Professional Software designed or supported to work on Active/Passive clusters? or simply put, is it cluster aware?

>> BPS / BES is NOT cluster aware.  In the event of a failover depending on how quickly Exchange recovers BPS may also recover.  That said ... if you're using BPS with a cluster you shouldn't be installing BPS on an Exchange server.  It should be on its own stand-alone OS instanace.  Best practice is if your mailbox server fails over, restart your BPS. I know people with Exchange clusters that use BPS purely because they have a few BlackBerry users.

#3 If the the answer to #2 is "yes" then is it simply a matter of installing the software on the Active node, failing over then installing it on the passive (now active [after failover]) node?  Do I need to install the software on both nodes or can I just install it on the active and copy the binaries to the passive node??

>> Already answered ... not cluster aware.

These are probably easy to answer, but I need to be comfortable before I install any software in my Exchange environment.

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
Please use plain text.
tbs
New Contributor
tbs

Yes - knottyrope - I do not see it mentioned either but the "salesperson" said it would work.  All of us IT people have been in that spot before which is why I am after any confirmation or anyone with real world experience to tell me that it works fine before I mess with my mail server.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Roger3

Found the number for Sales Support (1.800.327.9085 if you're interested) and asked the same question.  BPS is NOT cluster-aware, but BES is.  They didn't recommend trying to install it on a cluster as they haven't tried or tested it at all.
Please use plain text.