Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
numbloc
My Device: None
My Carrier: O2

Blackberry express - migration to new server

Hi

Just a quick question, we have a blackberry enterprise express 5.0.3 that uses an external sql database. We wish to move the bes server from one server to another (decom the old server). Is it as simple as turning off the old bes services on the old server and installing the new bes server and pointing to the existing database ?
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
oliwer
My Device: BB10 and WiFi PB
My Carrier: .

Re: Blackberry express - migration to new server

[ Edited ]

Yes it is..
I guess you've chosen the host name as the BlackBerry Server name during your first install.
When you install the new server, specifiy a different name and move the users to the new server (there is a function in the BAS for that).
I would recommend using a new SRP Key for that (it's free for BES Express).
After you uninstalled the services or shut it down you can remove the old BES entries on the BAS website.

Edit: Here is also an article for BES Express http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB17029

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

adding in a second BES and using the same SQL database will be easy to move users over with in BAS.

dont forget to make a second BAS before removing the old BES

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
numbloc

Hi

Thanks to you both for the confirmation. Presently running BES express 5.0.3. The newest download is 5.0.4 If i use the newest for the new install will that give me problems during the migration. It's a exchange 2010 environment.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

numbloc wrote:

Hi

Thanks to you both for the confirmation. Presently running BES express 5.0.3. The newest download is 5.0.4 If i use the newest for the new install will that give me problems during the migration. It's a exchange 2010 environment.

you should run the same version on all BES if using the same common database

if running separate databases it wont matter much

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
numbloc

Ok, thanks to all for the information

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

your welcome

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
numbloc

Hi

I have a problem getting BES installed since my previous post. It seems to reflect this KB article here:

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/viewdocument.do?noCount=true&externalId=KB24355&sliceId=2&cm...

where it says that you should just restart the sql services, not sure if this means straight away or what. Can anybody advise and is there a better 'fix' for this ?

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
oliwer
My Device: BB10 and WiFi PB
My Carrier: .

To start the SQL Services seems pretty straight forward to me :smileywink: Did you already tried to start them like mentioned: Use SQL Server Service Manager to start SQL Server service and the installation will resume as normal and complete successfully.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
numbloc

Hi

Err, yes i can start the sql services but i suppose my question had two parts, the first being why do i have to do that

and the second would be when should i restart the services - as soon as they are stopped or somehow just before it fails ? (based on time)

Would starting the services as soon as they are stopped cause other issues with the install and sql ?

Please use plain text.