Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
k3sun
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: AT&T
Accepted Solution

Cannot login to BAS

Just installed BESX 5.0.3.41 on a Windows SBS2008 running Exchange 2007. Am trying to execute first login to BAS by selecting to login to BAS instead of Active Directory from the dropdown and have been repeatedly getting the same error: "The user name or password is not correct. Please correct the entry."

Have checked several possible causes for not being allowed to login to BAS including KB18186, KB18267, KB17950 as suggested by knottyrope in the BESX Forum. Decided to try logging in to BAS using Active Directory instead; it works!

So I have two questions:

1. What could be causing the recommended login method of selecting BAS from the dropdown to fail?

2. Are there any downsides to logging in to BAS using Active Directory instead of BAS?

I am way behind schedule now on getting BESX configured for 2 users who are no longer receiving mail from their domain peers on the BBs because we activated Outlook Web Access on Exchange. I need to get BESX configured ASAP for these users.

Any guidance on the above is appreciated!

Thank you,
K3SUN
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
k3sun

Re: Cannot login to BAS

As a result of viewing the tutorial to install BES 5.0.3, not BESX, I discovered a flaw in the BESX installation documentation. Step 25 on page 29 instructs the installer to specify the type of authentication that you want to use, and click Next.  By default, Windows authentication is checked, and if chosen, will not allow specification of the alternate login that the Admin Guide instructs users to follow when first logging in.  Therefore, the default "admin" user is never created to allow use of that account when first logging in to BlackBerry Administration Service.

Bottom Line: The BESX Admin Guide does not match the Installation and Configuration Guide; the end result will be that many users, myself included, will waste countless hours troubleshooting a problem that is created soley by poor documentation.  RIM needs to correct both documents and make it clear that choosing Windows authentication at installation Step 25 means the login to BAS will only work with the Active Directory selection on the login page dropdown.

I wonder how many hours and days have been wasted by BESX installers trying to resolve this phantom problem?

Thank you,
K3SUN
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

It is best practive to enable the SQL auth account, in case AD cant be contacted for what ever reason.

And yes the guide should make it more clear.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
k3sun

TO: knottyrope

Thanks for your reply. What's the best way to add the SQL auth after the fact?

Thank you,
K3SUN
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier
Please use plain text.