Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
franklintech
My Device: 9300

Cannot login to BES Administration service

[ Edited ]

Hi There

I recently went to add a new BB to a users BESX and could not login due to "username and password error"

After a bit of searching it seems the issue could be related to a few different problems. I decided to patch the server from 5.0.2 bundle 14 to 5.0.2 mr1 as some solutions had suggested to no avail.

the BBAS_AS log is below from the time I was trying to login. what next?

http://www.mediafire.com/?jb6urwc7aqe002w

Enviroment is a single windows SBS2008 server and I have previously been able to login with no issues.

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Cannot login to BES Administration service

you aplied it as BESadmin?

did you try to restart BAS service and try after 5 minutes?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
franklintech

Hi, 

Thanks for the reply. 

Yes I was logged into the server and installed it as Besadmin and have since rebooted the server to complete the install of the patch. Have waited about 10-15 mins and just tried an hour or so later too. 

Thanks

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I would re install BAS and if that dont work then look at the BAS AS logs

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

New Contributor
franklintech

Hi, thanks for that, 

I have edited the link in my first post so it can now be downloaded, can you tell me anything from the log ? 

How do I just reinstall BAS ? 

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

re run the installer or from add remove programs

New Contributor
franklintech

Well I did a complete reinstall of the besx with the original 5.0.2 installer I used when I started ( which used to let me into the admin console) and still have the same issue. 

Is anyone willing to have a look over the log I posted in my first post to help me diagnose the issue? 

Oh man I wish besx was still like 4.1 with a console that works instead of a stupid web interface that does not work! - I will never upgrade the customer's I still have on 4.1 because the newer software is so flakey. 

New Contributor
franklintech

Saweet, managed to fix this issue! 

Im one who likes to diagnose an issue rather than just throwing an assortment of "possible fixes" at a problem, so not really knowing what I was looking for I started reading the logs and found this : 

'LOGIN ERROR:  _getExchangeGCInfo Failed to get Global Catalog server name for domain bp1.local com.rim.bes.basplugin.activedirectory.CouldNotGetGCInfoException: Message: 'getGCHost could not get global catalog information from DNS, javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: DNS name not found [response code 3]; remaining name '_ldap._tcp.Default-First-Site-Name._sites.gc._msdcs.bp1.local'', nested exception: 'DNS name not found [response code 3]'', nested exception: 'Message: 'getGCHost could not get global catalog information from DNS, javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: DNS name not found [response code 3]; remaining name '_ldap._tcp.Default-First-Site-Name._sites.gc._msdcs.bp1.local'', nested exception: 'DNS name not found [response code 3]''

This points to a DNS problem rather than a issue with BAS. after a small amount of investigation, It turns out that DNS settings in the server nic's tcp/ip settings was first looking to an external dns rather that at the SBS's DNS server. 

I changed these around so it first looks locally then externally for DNS and rebooted the server and presto, I can now get back in and add new BB's to the BESX!! 

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

Glad to hear you are doing better.