Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
Brad_C
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: Optarse
Accepted Solution

Device.xml & Vendor.xml failing. How to switch off log stack trace

[ Edited ]

G'day All,

I'm using BESX 5.0.3 SP2 (Jan 2012) for Exchange. The BES is behind a NAT firewall and has no restrictions on outbound traffic. I can retrieve the files manually using IE on the BES machine.

I'm getting persistent intermittent failures to update Device.xml & Vendor.xml.

This fails about 50% of the time (so about every 2 hours). In itself this is not an issue, however each failure causes a mass of backtrace in my BBAS log, and is chewing up disk space like nobodys business.

I've read _all_ the knowledge bases I can find on connectivity, proxy configuration and manual updates of the files. Here's my findings so far.

- My install was completely missing Vendor.xml in the bas\etc\device\loader. The result of this missing file is the update will never _ever_ succeed, so I needed to manually install those files for the update to even have a hope of completing (Install was originally installed as 5.0.2 last year and Vendor.xml was never installed)

- The BES never actually updates those files (I deliberately installed old vesions). The blobs in the database are correct however.

- This BES has unrestricted access to the outside world. I've tried with and without proxy servers with the same overall results. Using the proxy server at least allows me to watch the connection attempts go past.

I'm not entirely surprised about this. It would appear that a large amount of BES(X) instances across the globe all attempt to connect to the same servers using SSL at exactly the same time. This can't end well.

The fact that mine succeeds 50% of the time tells me my configuration is ok, and it's just not getting the response it wants 50% of the time.

I've got two options as far as I see it.

A) Set the log level on the BAS service to not log stack traces

B) Set the timer on the update from 3600 seconds to about 86390 seconds (1 day - 10 seconds) so it only attempts once a day, and the time rolls back 10 seconds a day.

It's A) I'm after advice on. B) I can do with a simple database edit.

My real problem is the 6 meg of log a day this is generating. If I can't make it work reliably, then I need to stop it chewing up disk, however I don't want to turn the log off completely because it's handy to have. My current log level is 0x03 (Information).

Interestingly, setting the log level to 0x04 (Debug) stops the stack traces being written to the log, but of course the log is massive anyway.

Hold that thought. I've figured out how to alter the timer to make it poll at a time other than XX:10 and it seems to be working. I'll let it run for another couple of hours.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Brad_C

Re: Device.xml & Vendor.xml failing. How to switch off log stack trace

Ok, so making BES download the files at a different time to everyone else has solved my problem.

The bizarre thing is the BES & BESX default is to download a new copy of the files over an SSL connection every hour. That's 700k per BAS instance, per hour. It does not check the state of the files, or version numbers but actually re-downloads the files completely. That's INSANE! I'd love to see the hourly mrtg graphs for the www.blackberry.com servers.

I've now changed mine to download every 2 days (I should make it once a week, I mean how often do those files really change??) at 25 past the hour. Hopefully that's it sorted for good.
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

[ Edited ]

set it to once every two weeks

it does not change that often

but if a person gets a new released device, it might not update in time. Thats why we have a policy of 2 weeks of no new devices until IT dept tests them.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Brad_C

Like that policy myself.

I just can't believe they set it up the way they set it up.

I've configured it for 2 days, but next time I have my head in the database I'll stretch it out.

Given I'm in australia, we won't see anything new until its been out for months anyway, so I think hourly downloads is ludicrous.
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I agree its a bit too much. Where did you change the time?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Brad_C

Excuse my SQL-fu. I'm a dirty hack at best.

Recurrance time is here :
select RecurrancePeriod from dbo.BASTimers where ClassName='com.rim.bes.bas.softwareconfigurationmanager.ExternalXMLTimerHandler'

Start offset is here :
select InitialStartDateTime from dbo.BASTimerStartDateTimes where TimerID = (select TimerID from dbo.BASTimers where ClassName = 'com.rim.bes.bas.softwareconfigurationmanager.ExternalXMLTimerHandler')

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

thanks for sharing your info

Please use plain text.