Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
KL4712
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: SingTel

Domino and Blackberry Integration

I am tasked to develop and implement a way to approve/decline Lotus Notes workflow application via Blackberry device (mostly Bold 9700). I am new to blackberry development. After some research and bearing in mind the constraints given by the users, I have came out with the following approach. 

I hope you all can comment on my approach before I start coding. 

(a) The Domino application will "push" a "browser message" to the blackberry device owned by the approver whenever approval is required. The browser message will contain all the information the approver need to make the approval decision

(b) The pushed browser message will be delivered to the blackberry messages application's inbox.

(c) When the approver open the message, a customised menu item consisting of Approve or Decline will be associated with the message. 

(d) If the approver select Approve from the menu, an email will be automatically sent to a specified address with a special subject for further processing by the Domino application

(e) If the approver select Declince from the menu, an email will alos be automatically sent to a specified address but with a different subject.

Is the above approach doable and what kind of development is required (java, WML, etc?)

Thank you in advance for your input.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
gbeukeboom
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Domino and Blackberry Integration

Hi there,

Welcome to the forums!

A Browser Message Push essentially just sends a web page to the device to be viewed, so you would not be able to add a custom menu item (c) nor email from the web page automatically (d & e). You could however use standard web technologies to display a button for "Approve" and "Decline". Clicking either could trigger a server-side application to send and email or possibly just send a web request to your server with the required information.

As far as development technologies, this approach would require standard web scripting (HTML, JavaScript etc) and for sending the push message you could essentially use any technology that is capable of performing an HTTP Post.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
KL4712
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: SingTel

Hi Garett 

Thank you for your pointer.

What is the possibilities of adding my menu items to the existing menu in Blackbeery Messages application?

For example, one menu item for Approve and the other for Decline (instead of buttons). I am thinking of something more elegance. 

When selected, these menu will trigger email instructing the back-end Domino application to approve and reject a request respectively.

Best regards

KL

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
gbeukeboom
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

It's possible, but again you would need to use Java to integrate with the Messages application and it would be an approach other than a Browser Message Push. Note that the device can programmatically send emails using Java as well.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.