Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Error when assigning a device

We have had 2 users running on blackberry professional 4.1.4.3 for the last 4 months without any problems at all.  Last friday our server was shutdown because an electrician was doing some work in our office and he required all power to be off for a short time.  As far as I know the server was shutdown properly but when it booted up again both users couldnt receive emails on their blackberry but they were coming into their PCs outlook fine.

In blackberry manager both users show as running and there is nothing to indicate any problem except it says that the last message sent to the device was at 12.30 on Friday 13th.  I tried to do the enterprise activation again hoping that would fix the problem but it says "The server is not responding please contact your system administrator" so I connected one of the blackberrys to our server via usb cable and did 'assign device'.  This brought up the error "An error occoured while assigning the device to the user.  The user is not yet known to the Blackberry agent.  It can take several minutes for a newly added user to be fully initialized by the server before they can be provisioned. (16)" These's arent new users!  They have been present and working for months all we did was reset the server.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Contributor
My Device: 9700 & PlayBook

Re: Error when assigning a device

Are all of the Blackberry Services running?

Have you tried restarting the BES services or even rebooted the server?

I have had this happen and a reboot has normally fixed it. I actually had this last week after the new Exchange Security patch was installed and after a reboot no messages were being sent to the devices. A reboot fixed it.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Did you update exchange with teh new patch that was released on Friday 13th?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

Hi thanks for your replys

I have tried restarting the blackberry service by going to stop service and start service which hasn't worked.  Also resending the service books didn't work.  I havn't yet tried restarting the server I will try that tonight.  Everything in the blackberry manager indicates it's running ok except the last message sent to the device is stuck at 12.30 on Friday 13th

Our server is set to update automatically so if the update that was released on Friday 13th was an automatic one I assume we would have it.  Was it released before 12.30 afternoon because that when the problem started.

Below is a list of all the issues I have come across so far:

Services Status

Blackberry internet service

Connection: not connected

Blackberry enterprise server

Connection: not connected

Enterprise Activation

When initiating an enterprise activation the device attempts to activate for 10 minutes then says:

The server is not responding please contact your system administrator

Assign a device

When the device is connected to the server via a USB cable and the option assign a device is selected in

blackberry manager the following error appears:

"An error occoured while assigning the device to the user.  The user is not yet known to the Blackberry agent.  It can take several minutes for a newly added user to be fully initialized by the server before they can be provisioned. (16)"

Message Edited by lewisdh on 02-18-2009 11:51 AM
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Reboot the BPS server, it fixes many things and cant really make it worse.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V