Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Non Blackberry user
My Carrier: Non Blackberry user

Exchange 2010 SP2 OWA access through BIS...

Good Day All

We have come across a strange issue in our messaging environment. Even though we are using BES 5.0.3, there are still users who access their mail through OWA on their Blackberry devices using BIS.

These users are experiencing the following problems:

Mails that are not even addressed to them are being delivered to their devices, but when they check in outlook they are not seeing these mails.

2 Users in particular has an issue in which every couple of weeks or so their device would “go nuts” (their words) and resend all their mails in OWA to its original recipients, again in Outlook Sent items these messages are not visible.

When looking for these messages on the Exchange tracking logs we come up with nothing so it would seem that Exchange is either not processing these mails or these mails does not go through the Exchange server.

From talking to these users, and obtaining a time line for this problem, it seems as though the behaviour started right around the time that we implemented Airwatch SEG to manage all our other non BES devices.

How the access works is that Outlook Anywhere, ActiveSync and OWA requests are being forwarded from our firewall to the Airwatch server which in turns sends these requests to our Exchange CAS server via passthrough

My questions are:

Have you observed or heard of anything like this before?

If so is there a fix from RIM for this (other than adding the users to BES)?

Is this a known issue?

Is there a way to troubleshoot this?

I would appreciate your input on this as we have not found anything funny on our Exchange servers.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Exchange 2010 SP2 OWA access through BIS...

putting users on BES would be best

OWA via BIS works but can be glitchy if RIMs servers cant connect to your server. it will then resend all emails.

I currently block OWA because of this and users expect it to sync more than email and it wont.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
My Device: Non Blackberry user
My Carrier: Non Blackberry user

Thanks Knotty Rope.

I think I might go that route, how would I go about blocking OWA to these devices?

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: O2

With Exchange 2010 SP2 you have miniOWA access which is very popular in countries like Japan

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

block BIS IPs on port 443 and 80 with in IIS or your firewall

list of them here

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB11036

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V