Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
MSMMSM
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: T-Mobile
Accepted Solution

Few BESX related questions

Hello all,

I am relatively new to whole BlackBerry infrastructure, so I have few questions that I'd like to have answered to get better grasp on it. Our environment consist of BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express 5.0.3 + Exchange 2010

BlackBerry related things I am not clear about are:

- What I think I know is that our BESX opens communication line with RIM NOC, and that all mail communication between HH and BESX flows through RIM NOC. Correct/Incorrect?

- During OTA enterprise activation, there is an ETP.DAT file created. What is the mail flow for e-mail message with that file? Does it enter our internal network through our external mail gateway, or is it pushed directly to user mailbox through open line between RIM NOC and our BESX/Exchange?

- What is the story with Internet browsing over handhelds? - is the data that goes to/from Internet flowing by default through our BESX and our internal network or HH go to Internet directly (through our ISP data plan?)

- What is the mechanism in which HH access internal network resources (MDS connection service)? I was surprised to see it function in that way by default (internal network access allowed), because it basically skips all of our edge checks (firewall, IPS, NAP ...). Any advice on this subject? Any easy way of turning it off selectively/filtering by user/by resource)?

- is there documentation available for BESX disaster recovery (backup/restore) procedures?

Thanks, MSMMSM

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
kbe
My Device: Bold 9900 + PlayBook + Z10

Re: Few BESX related questions

Hi,

will try to give you some answers in your quoted text below:

MSMMSM wrote:

Hello all,

I am relatively new to whole BlackBerry infrastructure, so I have few questions that I'd like to have answered to get better grasp on it. Our environment consist of BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express 5.0.3 + Exchange 2010

- What I think I know is that our BESX opens communication line with RIM NOC, and that all mail communication between HH and BESX flows through RIM NOC. Correct/Incorrect?

yes, correct concerning the BES Data. If your users additionaly create mailboxes over BIS for their private email accounts, this data is not traveling through your BESX. Instead it flows from the private mailbox (e.g. gmx, gmail...) over the phone provider BB Network (e.g. Telekom BIS Server) to the HH.

- During OTA enterprise activation, there is an ETP.DAT file created. What is the mail flow for e-mail message with that file? Does it enter our internal network through our external mail gateway, or is it pushed directly to user mailbox through open line between RIM NOC and our BESX/Exchange?

Not 100% sure. I think the BESX puts this email directly in the users Exchange mailbox. But i have no device to activate right now to test it.

- What is the story with Internet browsing over handhelds? - is the data that goes to/from Internet flowing by default through our BESX and our internal network or HH go to Internet directly (through our ISP data plan?)

The BB browser should use the BES Data plan from your phone provider and the traffic should use the BESX as a proxy. Other apps might go directly to the internet when an apn is configured on the HH (not by default) or might use the provider BIS. Biggest chalenge is to handle the data plan without being sure wich data plan is used (depends on the apn the HH uses. You might get additional costs if the HH does not use the apn blackberry.net and you do not have a data plan for other apns like wap.vodafone.de...). All this info for german location. I dont know where you come from.

- What is the mechanism in which HH access internal network resources (MDS connection service)? I was surprised to see it function in that way by default (internal network access allowed), because it basically skips all of our edge checks (firewall, IPS, NAP ...). Any advice on this subject? Any easy way of turning it off selectively/filtering by user/by resource)?

- is there documentation available for BESX disaster recovery (backup/restore) procedures?

sorry, but i can´t give you detailed info about that. Maybe knotty or someone else will answer this better than me.

Thanks, MSMMSM

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

kbe wrote:

Hi,

will try to give you some answers in your quoted text below:

MSMMSM wrote:

Hello all,

yes, correct concerning the BES Data. If your users additionaly create mailboxes over BIS for their private email accounts, this data is not traveling through your BESX. Instead it flows from the private mailbox (e.g. gmx, gmail...) over the phone provider BB Network (e.g. Telekom BIS Server) to the HH.

ETPfile is sent from RIM NOC, processed by BES and then user device is activated.

BES express does not limit internet. Device will choose best path if on OS 6 or higher.

The device is connected in a VPN like manner. you can add a firewall rule to block it if you want. Most users have no clue on how to access anything with their device.

Backup the database nightly and log your SRP and CAL info. If not pushing apps then dont backup the BES server.

Thanks, MSMMSM

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Contributor
MSMMSM

Hello kbe, knottyrope,

Thanks for clearing up most of the things I was interested in. If it is possible, I would like to get additional clarification on questions 3 and 4? Regarding question 3, can any of you two point me to RIM documentation that concerns internet access on HH (in combination with BESX), especially part that mentions how "best path" in OS6 or higher works? As for the question 4, I am also interested in any RIM documentation that covers backup/restore procedures.

Much appreciated, MSMMSM

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Perform a backup of information on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server in a Microsoft Exchange environm...

What's new in BlackBerry 6 OS 

What's new in BlackBerry 7 OS

For information about the Simplified browser selection in BlackBerry 6 and BlackBerry 7 see: KB23699.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Please use plain text.
Contributor
MSMMSM

Thanks knottyrope, it is more or less all I needed (I also managed to find restore information).

MSMMSM

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

your welcome

Please use plain text.