Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
eparsons
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: AT&T

High Level differences in setting up BES10 Device V BES5 Device

I know this is basic, and I'm either searching for the wrong thing, or it is just not out there (here or the INet in general)

BES WebServices promises that you can manage both BES5 (Java) devices as well as BES10 devices.  I have a test service which will create a new user on a BES10 server, set the activation password, and through my code send the password to the user.  The user (me) can setup the device.  I've ran Wipe code, and re-run this process of provisioning the user/device a number of times and am confident it is solid.

BUT, how does setting up an activation for a BES10 device differ?  I've tried with another tester/user who reports that the BES device keeps asking for "the server".

Any basic overview is welcomed, but I will offer that I have already reviewed (and mostly read) the RIM provided public documents.

TIA.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
gbeukeboom
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: High Level differences in setting up BES10 Device V BES5 Device

Hi there,

Are you asking about programming differencs when using BWS, or how the BES differs in general? For the latter you would be better to ask in the Business side of the forum:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Enterprise-Server/bd-p/bes5

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
eparsons

I have written a provisioning service which does all our business logic (does this person get a BB, what charge center, what features, etc), creates the BES user if necessary, sets policy, and sets the activation password.  The service also can issue a wipe for the device(s) as well as other functions.  All that works fine calling BWS functions through Proxy code (as opposed to a Service Reference).  

The BWS service is reporting BWS Version 5.0.4.50, which from all I'm reading should be able to manage both BES5 and BES10 devices.

I can enable activation for my testing account and activate a BES5 device (9900).  However, BES10 devices are receiving the "Enter server" prompt (reportedly from another tester).  I've looked for some really cool, executive level cheat sheet that describes what has to happen differently for a BES10 activation, but do not find any.

I don't really care how a BES5 or BES10 device differs, only how their activation requirements and dependencies from a programmatic management perspective differs.  

Hope this helps to clarify.

Please use plain text.
gbeukeboom

It does, thanks :smileyhappy:

Your question is still more related to the device/service as opposed to BWS, so needs to be directed and reposted to the BES board.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
eparsons

Respectfully Garett, I disagree.

For someone who knows programming in general, and who knows Blackberry in general, but needs to quickly spin up on BES Web Services interface, there should be a cogent and concise set of steps to describe how to provision a device.  Such as:

1. Create the BES user if necessary using createUsers.
  2. Set the activiation password using setUsersActivationPassword

Likewise, there should be a set of caveats that can be digested in 10 min or less.  ie. For BES10 devices do this.

I appreciate your time, but apparently, there is no such document (or at least not in your mind), so if I want it, I suppose I have to research and create it.

Thanks again.

Please use plain text.
gbeukeboom

Are you asking for differences in how to perform the activations using BWS between BES 5 and BES 10? There are none, the same calls exist in both. If the device handles the activations differently (ex asking for a server name for some reason) then that has *nothing* to do with BWS and instead is a function of the BES/device activation process.

I hope that clears up my previous statements.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.