Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
harpert
My Device: Not Specified

Bis or Bes

Hi,

it seems that the BIS or BES plan does not make any difference, at least not in the Netherlands.

The BIS plan eliminates the possibility of wireless activation by altering the software on your phone.

The "Activation over wireless" simply is no longer available

However this piece of software can be downloaded from the App world.

I have worked with BES a couple of years back and now pay less and have the exact same synchronisation with BIS as I had with BES.

BES, I guess, is only needed for large corporate networks.

RIM should make a difference between the small business server / small company users and the large corporations.

Installation procedures for SBS 2008 / 2010 / 2011 etc should be made easy and automated.

It is not complicated to write a script in which the SBS installation is done fully automatic and a user BesAdmin is added with the correct priviliges.
The issue is that RIM seems to be indifferent to the need to support small businesses.

The so called "free support" is only valid on the first installation (which I did some 10 years ago)

Not if you setup / upgrade your SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 / 2010 etc.

RIM, please develop a proper setup for SBS users which is FULLY automated and requires no input from the "admin" other than appointing the names of the persons that want to have their email / agenda etc synchronised to their blackberry.

So many small businesses with no real Administrator, like myself would be much helped with the advantages of a Blackberry over an Iphone if the installation of BESExpress would not be so much complicated and not automated.

A simple click on SETUP.EXE and a script does the rest.

The fact that if my country settings are on DUTCH / The Netherlands, makes the SETUP of BESExpress Crash completely shows how little effort is taken to support the large quantity of Small business server users.

Harpert

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Bis or Bes

BES is complicated, no doubt about that.

for many its an easy install, other its a night mare

Dont know if SBS install could be scripted or not, there is a lot of security stuff done to install it.

I have been helping out people with BES for over 4 years now. You are not the first to feel this way.

Maybe next time get a new SRP and get support to assist with the install. I dont know what else to tell you.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Contributor
harpert

Hi,

If software is properly written, no aid is needed for installation.

I took a long look at the instructions how to Install BesExpress on SBS.

The procedure is very well explained and if followed to the letter, indeed very easy.

So easy that it should be no hassle to put it in a script :smileyhappy:

The problem is NOBODY ever reeds the manual.

you just click on SETUP.

A popup should appear....

"You are using Small business Server 20xx"

Please answer the following questions before you continue

are you currently logged in as ADMIN

If the Answer is YES....

"please follow the instructions to create a user called BESADMIN

and a tutorial should start.

After the user has been created, show another popup:

"are you able to set the proper rights for the BesAdmin user yourself?"

if the answer is NO,

the setup could start the Exchange Management shell

say: COPY end PASTE the following command (that is exactly how I did it, copy and paste)

and so on....

all it would take is 4 maybe 5 days of programming from a junior programmer including some testing.

Harpert

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

harpert wrote:

The problem is NOBODY ever reeds the manual.

Harpert

That is your problem not the maker of any software.

I read the manual on everything.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Please use plain text.
Contributor
harpert

Hi,

apparently there are exceptions to the general rule.

Most people don't read any manual because in most cases it's simply not needed.

For our software we write lengthy manuals with screen shots to make sure everyone can understand how the software is operated, but nobody bothers to read it because when they follow their instincts, the software performs.

This is the difference between software written for developers / Admins or software written for users.

I understand that many BesExpress installers are Admins with huge knowledge on Exchange etc.

However, the majority of the users have no clue on how Exchange operates.

The difference should be made by the people developing software.

All software (in basic) should be so much self explainining that anyone can at least do the installation without looking at a manual.

Again.

making a proper installation script for Small Business Server Installations would not be complicated.

But the arrogance that users should follow a complete Video Instruction in stead of putting some effort in developing a proper installation script is something I can't understand.

BesExpress, apart from being very memory and resources hungry, functions fine once the installation is finished.
Just make the SETUP procedure better and many more people will be happy.

The time spent on answering all those questions in the forum could have been much much much better spent on developing a proper installation script

I am not going to comment further.

Harpert

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

[ Edited ]

harpert wrote:

I am not going to comment further.

Harpert

thank you for not  anymore

Please use plain text.