Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: non-BlackBerry user
My Carrier: Rogers

In-place Domain rename and BESE (possible?)

Situation:

I am preparing to rename a customers Windows 2003 domain using the in-place domain rename scenario.  I don't have the ability to virtualize or clone the existing BES server to test this part in the lab I'm setting up however so I'm not sure how BESE (Express) for Exchange will react to the in-place domain rename.  I also don't have access to a suitable phone to test with either (just to make life that much easier).

The reason for the domain rename is that their current domain name is a single label domain name ("domain" rather than "properdomain.local").  The Exchange server is 2003 with SP2 running on 2003r2sp2.  The BESE server is running 5.0.2 (b14) on Server 2003sp2.

Preferred Objective: rename the domain without having to reinstall and configure BES from scratch and re-activate all the BES devices again.

"Plan A": I am hoping that just reconfiguring the MAPI settings may be adequate for it to see the new domain name and talk to the network again, but I'm not entirely confident.  This 'might' work because all the SID's and email addresses will remain unchanged, and just the AD account domain changed (the name, not the SID).  I'm not certain what other hooks BES has into the AD or Exchange (if any).

My "Plan B" would be to back up the existing BES database and reinstall a new BESE server in the "new" domain name, restoring the data from the backup.  My hope would be that the database restore would preserve the device registrations but still pick up and use the "new" domain name.

My "Plan C" would be to throw out the old BESE server and start again from scratch.  I would like to avoid this scenario due to the lack of user ability to understand/perform the activations on their own.  On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being "knows what a phone is" and 10 being "I have activated my phone before") most users are around 2 in ability.

So...anyone else had to rename a domain and get BES working again?

Any advice on how to handle the BES server in this context?

I did find this, which seems to indicate that Plan A may work but it doesn't have a confirmation entry:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Enterprise-Solution/BES-and-Active-Directory-Domai...