Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: O2

Installing BES without a direct internet connection.

HI All,

I am a complete newby to BES and have been dropped into installiing BES on a new installation which has some strict security principles.

I am trying to install BES Express within a core network which does not have direct internet connection. Connections to the internet can only be made from the DMZ which is where I will be installing a remote router.

When trying to install the BES server I cannot get past the verifying SRP page due to the the installer not be being able to connect to the SRP network. (I used a local host file to provide name resolution of the srp address).

Is what I am trying to achieve possible or will I have to allow the internal BES server access to the internet (by jumping through lots of info Assurance hoops). Can it be removed after the install and when a remote router is installed in the DMZ.

Happy for any assistance in my quandry.

Thanks in anticipation

Andy

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9700
My Carrier: Wind Italy

Re: Installing BES without a direct internet connection.

You absolutely need ad internet connection active on BES server because one of the modules called Blackberry Router will need to connect to blackberry systems otherwise mails will not be sent to mobile phones.

You need 3101/TCP port open in output for Blackberry BES server.

If you read carefully installing istructions you can find these info :smileyhappy:

New Contributor

Thanks for the reply and I appreciate the RTFM advice:Yes:

What I was hoping was the Blackberrey router installed on a machine in the DMZ which would have internet connectivity could deal with this connection. I was hoping that the BES server could be instaled with out needing to connect to the internet and configured to connect to the BB router instead.

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9700
My Carrier: Wind Italy

Yes it could be possible in some cases.

You may find helpful these Blackberry Technical Solution Center articles

KB25003 - How to install remote BlackBerry Router Service in a DMZ for a BlackBerry Enterprise Serve...

KB13732 - How to move the BlackBerry Router Service to a remote server

I did not have yet this kind of need so I did not try to do it ! And also it's not clear to me if you can apply these articles also to Blackberry Enterprise Server Express !

Last hint, BlackBerry Technical Solution Center was very very very helpful to me when I began installing BESX !

New Contributor

Just thought I would supply an update to this question.

I installed the BES router first in the DMZ and then installed the BES server on the internal network naming the blackberry router as the SRP address during the install. Only port 3101 was allowed between the 2 servers.

THe SRP verified correctly and SRP connection tested workes as well.

So all is well and the segmented network configuration worked a treat.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

glad to see you are doing better

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V