Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
gbeukeboom
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Introducing the BlackBerry Web Services for Enterprise Administrators

Hi everyone,

I am excited to let you all know about a new web services interface that has been introduced with the BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES) version 5.0.3, the BlackBerry Web Services for Enterprise Administrators (BWS). This interface offers similar functionality to the BlackBerry Administration APIs (BAA) (making administration calls to the BlackBerry Administration Service console) but has many advantages, including being much simpler to develop. 

Anyone that has existing applications developed in Java or C# should find them very easy to port over to the new interfaces if desired. There is no immediate need to port your applications over, both BWS and BAA exist in harmony with BES 5.0.3, but BWS will be the supported platform moving forward for these tasks.

For more information on BWS, including full documentation and more details on why it will be the way to develop moving forward, here is some documentation and articles that have been written to date (expect more to come shortly!):

BlackBerry Web Services for Enterprise Administration Developer Documentation

API Reference

Getting Started with BlackBerry Web Services for Enterprise Administration (includes basic sample applications)

The API reference, as with BAA, contains a Java code sample for every supported call. There are 2 interfaces that contain all supported calls, BWS and BWSUtil.

Feel free to post any questions and comments you have and I will be happy to address them.

Cheers and happy coding,

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
derekpapworth
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Re: Introducing the BlackBerry Web Services for Enterprise Administrators

Hi Garett,

Developing an asp.net application to manage users in general (AD, etc) and as part of that I want to be able to add a new user to a BES using the new 5.0.3 web services as this seems the way forward, cross platform (Domino, Exchange, etc) - note also I haven't used the previous/existing API before.

Using the links you provided to the documentation I've managed to crib from the example "program.cs" to setup the web services calls (using Active Directory rather then example BES access) and have duplicated the "getusers" from the example too so I have the calls to web services working fine, the SSL all working, and can make requests and get responses.

What I'm struggling with though is to make a call to the CreateUsersRequest one needs to create a NewUser object with it's respective UserAttributes, AccountAttributes and Server objects which although detailed field wise in the API doc I found (your links's invalid?) I'm not sure exactly what fields are required at a minimum and possible where to get them from?

In other words is there fuller documentation or a tutorial/example maybe (similar to the example in the getting started) that shows how to add a new user to BES rather than just how to get a list of users?

Thanks & regards,

Derek

Please use plain text.
Developer
Developer
KPK
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: Rogers

Hi Derek.

I used the BlackBerry Administration API for Microsoft Visual C# developers.  It has a sample for creating users.

There is an online version:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/25825/Create_user_account_1430131_11.jsp

Hope this helps,

Kevin

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click on the KUDOS STAR
Please use plain text.
Developer
joelajean
My Device: Z10, Dev Alpha B & Bold 9900

Hi Garret,

As discussed previously, you mention...

For more information on BWS, including full documentation and more details on why it will be the way to develop moving forward...

In BAA, there seems to be quite a few methods that are no longer available in BWS. As for example, the coreWebService.findServices(); method. Does BWS offer the same / even more capability that what BAA offered ?

Also, in the even where I'm trying to fetch the supported BCS instances and the supported MDS instances... which BWS method should I be invoking ?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
gbeukeboom

Hi,

BWS does not have all the methods provided by BAA, but it needed to start somewhere. It's not that methods are "no longer available", they just have not been created yet. Functionality will continue to be added with each subsequent release as can be seen already when comparing the 5.0.3 to 6.0.0 API documentation:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/subcategories/?userType=21&category=BlackBerry+Web+Services...

Could you clarify what you mean by "BCS instances"?

With BWS all classes represent business objects, and the calls are fairly straight-forward, so if there is no MDS-CS class listed, and no calls in the get*() section that retrieve services, then it will not likely be possible to retrieve these specific objects currently. In this case the service instances cannot be returned currently (apart from the BES and BWS services).

Regards,

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.
Developer
joelajean

Ok, I see... So BAA is to be phased out and BWS will eventually provide all or most functionality has it progress !

As for the BCS instance, I'm refering to the following BAS information... So in my custom app, I would like to pull the Collaboration instances and the MDS connection service instance in order to retreive it's statuses...

CollaborationInstances.jpg

Please use plain text.
gbeukeboom

BWS should supercede the functionality provided by BAA eventually, and it is much easier to develop using :smileyhappy:.

MDS-CS and OCS monitoring is not currently supported.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.
Developer
joelajean

Yep... I agree that BWS is much easier to code against ! As for MDS-CS and OCS detailled information, are there any other way to retreive such information... via SQL or is there any command line tool that would provide the required information ?

Please use plain text.
gbeukeboom

Not that would be supported through this forum :smileywink:

Possibly BRK/BBUA, but you would need to ask on the non-dev BES boards.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.