Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Developer
zac_mathews
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Is it possiable to host a servlet which can be accessed only by BB Devices on BES

Hi,

I am basically a new BB Java Developer (for devices).

I wish to know is it possiable to upload a servlet on BES (Server) so that only BB Devices are able to connect it and it should not allow any other user to access it..

(Actually my requirement is to access SQL Server and do some opertions from BB which uses BES)

Thanks in advance...

Please use plain text.
Developer
zac_mathews

Re: Is it possiable to host a servlet which can be accessed only by BB Devices on BES

Please ... Is there any one who can answer this. Actually is it possiable to do so...

:-(

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
gbeukeboom
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Is it possiable to host a servlet which can be accessed only by BB Devices on BES

Hi,

You can determine whether a BlackBerry Browser is being used to view your page by reading the user agent and allow/deny access from within your web application based on the value of this:

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800878/800733/How_To_...

Regards,

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.
Developer
zac_mathews

Hi Garett Beukeboom thanks for your reply..

sorry I should have mentioned it before .... actually I am planning to develop java application for BB device so connections made will not from a browser instead I will be using HTTP connection using command Connector.open("http://xyx/abc"); from java app on the device. I wish to know a few things

• Is it possiable to host a servlet on BES ?( My main aim is to have very secure connection with server and do some DataBase operations & to block all other users like IE, firefox in short all users which is not a BES user)

Security Features

End-to-end Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) or Triple Data Encryption Standard (Triple DES) encryption to ensure the confidentially of info sent from the BlackBerry® Enterprise Server to BlackBerry smartphones

Thanks in advance...

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
gbeukeboom
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Hi zac_mathews,

You would be able to host  servlet on the BES however this is generally not a recommended approach, you would be better off to host the servlet on another internal server able to be accessed by the BlackBerry smartphones in your environment.

To block requests from all non-BlackBerry agents you could again check the user agent, if it displays as FireFox or IE then deny access.

With regards to security, all communications between the device and the BES will be encrypted using AES or 3DES depending on the administrator's settings. This encryption is by default, nothing further needs to be done from your application. If you want to add a layer of security between the BES and your application server then you could always turn on TLS and make the connection through HTTPS.

Regards,

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.
Developer
zac_mathews

Thanks  Garett Beukeboom

:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.