Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
Godofbeer
My Device: Not Specified

Is regular maintenance required?

Can someone give me a quick list of items I must/should be doing to my new BB pro setup on a regular basis to keep things running smoothly? Or, is the system designed to keep trucking along and auto-maintains itself.

Outside of regular Windows and Exchange monitoring and cleanup duties, I'm worried about items related to the installation such as:

• Do log files ever need deleting?
  • Do I ever need to compress the database?
  • Clean out temp files?

Don't want to take up anyone's time with a super detailed 'how to' reply, just give me the list and I'll research the items over time.

Thanks,

W.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne
My Device: Bold

Re: Is regular maintenance required?

As a general rule there isn't too much you need to do.

You've got the #2 thing down, monitor your logs.

#1 is take a backup of the BESMgmt / SQL database daily / nightly. Check out the script I put together to backup an MSDE database daily.

Another good thing is to purge logs ... personally I hate purging and usually do it only after 180 days, I'll keep an entire year if I can.  Instead i put together a script to zip the log files to save disk space.

If you know SQL you can perform maintenance on the DB, but if you don't you're better off leaving it alone focusing on making sure that you take a backup of the database daily.

Hope this helps.

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Godofbeer
My Device: Not Specified

Good stuff - thanks. Had a look at the scripts you wrote ... clever batch files.They will save me tons of time and I can probably schedule them to run at specified times. The only thing I'll change is to add the inclusion of a message sent to me after completion. For this, I like to copy a pre-made text file over into Exchange's pick-up queue to avoid having to rely on MAPI functions outside of the batchfile environment.

For anyone reading this message and wondering what the pre-made text file looks like, here's the format:

**** Text file begin

To: The email destination address@here

Subject: Andy's super-duper Database copy process is complete

Backup of database copmpleted.

**** Text file end

Didn't think the SQL DB was that important other than for the process of getting the mail thru. I figured that once a message was sent and everything synchronized between the BB and the mothership, the whole process started over on the next message. Worst thing I thought might happen was that I might have to start over after a crash and re-activate users. Now (based on what you've said), me thinks the database is more like an entire history of everything that's ever been sent/recieved/synched and if it gets lost - bad things will happen.

Thanks again,

W.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne
My Device: Bold

One of the scripts should have blat included as a part of it.  I use it for smtp delivery; I'm far too lazy to hande coping to the vsi directory :smileyhappy:

Once the BES / BPS server is started, you can actually disconnect it from the database and mail will still route.  Now, if you try to restart services with the database offline you'll run into problems.  It does keep historical data but it isn't involved in every message / item delivery.  It keeps information on the activated handheld (such as encryption keys being used).  If you're not worried about having to reactivate all handhelds in the event of a failure then you really don't need to backup the database; but that is what it is for.

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
Please use plain text.