Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

paulgrey
My Device: 9300
My Carrier: Vodafone

Keep message duration policy

I am using BES Express 5.0.3.41 and I am unable to find the keep message duration policy setting. I have tried editing an existing policy and looking under the 'Email messaging' group but it is not there. Even the inbuilt help says it should be there!

Is this setting not available with BES express?

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
oliwer
My Device: BB10 and WiFi PB
My Carrier: .

Re: Keep message duration policy

Please use plain text.
paulgrey
My Device: 9300
My Carrier: Vodafone

Ok thanks
Please use plain text.
Contributor
MSMMSM
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: T-Mobile

If that setting is not available through IT policy, what are our options then? Will settings that we make on devices work? e.g. if we set keep messages option per KB13093 on BlackBerry Bold 9900 to forever, will it be enforced?

Thanks, MSMMSM

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

MSMMSM wrote:

If that setting is not available through IT policy, what are our options then? Will settings that we make on devices work? e.g. if we set keep messages option per KB13093 on BlackBerry Bold 9900 to forever, will it be enforced?

Thanks, MSMMSM

yes and no

once device hits low memory the old ones could be removed

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Contributor
MSMMSM

[ Edited ]

Thanks, I found what you are reffering to in KB11328. Now I have few more questions regarding this subject :smileyhappy:

"Wireless reconciliation" basically ignores "Days To Keep Messages" setting? ... if I move mail from Inbox/Sent items, it is removed from BlackBerry? If that is true, what are my options? ... use saved messages or turn off wireless reconciliation.

Second question is what about SMS messages? ... how to control how long are they kept on BlackBerry Bold 9900?

Third question is whether remote search (through advanced menu) will search my entire mailbox on Exchange or?

Thanks for being so helpful!

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

MSMMSM wrote:

Thanks, I found what you are reffering to in KB11328. Now I have few more questions regarding this subject :smileyhappy:

"Wireless reconciliation" basically ignores "Days To Keep Messages" setting? ... if I move mail from Inbox/Sent items, it is removed from BlackBerry? If that is true, what are my options? ... use saved messages or turn off wireless reconciliation.

no it sticks with the 30 days if set, if you turn off reconcile then you manage device separatlely for read unread marks

Second question is what about SMS messages? ... how to control how long are they kept on BlackBerry Bold 9900?

device only setting

Third question is whether remote search (through advanced menu) will search my entire mailbox on Exchange or? yes remote search will search whole mailbox.

Thanks for being so helpful!

This will explain a lot about reconcile and hard deletes
KB04863 - Permanent deletion of email messages in Microsoft Outlook does not reconcile to the BlackB...

link in above KB in case you missed it
KB04853 - How to enable hard deletes on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server

I have also changed the messages state size to 1000 and it cured 99% of our issues.
The performance hit and RAM increase is almost nil on the BES box.

On Device also double check:

Make sure that Wireless Reconcile is set to On. Sometimes toggling that to off, saving it, then turning it back on.
Messages Options - Email reconciliation -
Delete on Mailbox and handheld,
wireless reconcile = Yes
On conflicts = Mailbox wins.

If still not working and you moved a user mailbox.

KB20770 Email reconciliation does not work after moving a mailbox

Is the user over quota?

How to perform an email reconciliation test

How to verify the wireless email reconciliation process

How email reconciliation works on a BlackBerry smartphone

KB11632 - How to increase the number of email messages sent to a BlackBerry smartphone during the en...

If using the same PIN upon activation look at this KB

KB04713 - Enable message prepopulation for all users on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server

For subfolders you have to enable them first.

KB11434 - No messages are displayed in subfolders following enterprise activation

and for older ones that wont prepopulate here are some tricks.

In the BlackBerry smartphone user's mailbox, create a subfolder of the Inbox called Recover.
Drag the email messages to be restored to the Recover folder.
On the Home screen of the BlackBerry smartphone, click Messages.
Click Search.
Set the Search Type to Remote.
Set the Service to Desktop.
Set the Folder to Recover.
Press the Menu key and click Search.
While viewing the search results, press the Menu key.
Click Add All.
The message headers for the email messages will be added to the message list on the BlackBerry smartphone.

or

• In the search results, highlight a message.

• Press the Menukey.

• To view more available search results, click Get More Results.

• To add the message that you highlighted to your message inbox, click Add.

• To add all the messages from the search results to your message inbox, click Add All.

• To delete the search results, click Delete Search.

• To start a new search, click Search by.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Please use plain text.
Contributor
MSMMSM

Thanks for such a long answer. I also did my testing, and found out following:

Settings:

- keep messages option on device set to forever:

- wireless reconciliation on device set to on

- conflict resolution on device set to mailbox wins (I also test with handheld wins)

Mail soft deleted from Exchange mailbox - reconcile - also deleted from device

Mail hard deleted from Exchange mailbox - reconcile - also deleted from device (after some time)

Mail moved from Inbox in Exchange mailbox to other folder in Exchange mailbox - reconcile - mail still there, icon changes to folder

Mail moved from Inbox in Exchange mailbox to local Outlook data file - reconcile - also deleted from device (after some time).

Basically, from my testing it seems that if I want my mail to stay on device forever, I need to turn off wireless reconciliation or use saved messages?

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

it wont stay forever, at some point it will be erased when you goto low memory situation

turn off reconcile, check to save forever, turn off delete from hand help and mail box too

Please use plain text.
Contributor
MSMMSM

Are low memory manager actions on BlackBerry handheld reported back to BES Express? ... I have a user with BB Bold 9900 who keeps having its messages deleted. Setting on handheld is to keep messages forever, but I checked today and he has only 7 days of messages on his handheld. At the same time, he has more than 2000 messages in his server Inbox (Exchange 2010), spanning last 4 months ...

I would like to check logs on BlackBerry server to see if the deletion is result of low memory manager actions or if there is some other problem.

Thanks, MSMMSM

Please use plain text.