Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
SergeyL
My Carrier: Rogers
Accepted Solution

MDS Connection Service cannot be started after renaming BES server.

Hello,

I am using Blackberry Enterprise Server Express 5.0.1.4 (local SQL express) with Exchange 2010.

This morning I renamed server where BES located from BES1 to BES2 and couldn't start MDS service after that. Exactly it says "The BlackBerry" MDS Connection Service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or program". 

I checked SQL already and it looks good and uses new path to DB. 

Also I changed DatabaseServer path for BES in register, but MDS still not working.  

Does anybody have experience of renaming BES server???

Thanks

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
MAD-VIKING

Re: MDS Connection Service cannot be started after renaming BES server.

Hello SergeyL;

Welcome to the forums and thank you for your question.

During the installation of the BlackBerry Enterprise Server, the Mobile Data Connection Service will create a connection instance or mapping for the host\instance it is being installed on\to.

In the event that the host is renamed, the mapping then becomes invalid.

(This may also cause other issues with DNS name\IP resolution)

When viewing the BlackBerry Administration Service web console\ Servers Components\BlackBerry Solution topology\ BlackBerry Domain\ Component view\ MDS Connection Service you will see the instance for the Mobile Data Connection Service and if a reinstall has not been done, it will be utilizing the previous machine name.

In the event of a reinstall, which is the recommended process and you are still encountering the issue; you may see two Mobile Data Connection Service instances located in the BlackBerry Administration Service web console.

You will need to select the appropriate instance, select the Supported Dispatcher Instances, Edit, and map the Mobile Data Connection Service to the correct Dispatcher Instance for the server host.

KB19601

The resolution for this is to run a reinstall of the BlackBerry Enterprise Server, pointing to the production database so that the records will update appropriately. Post installation, you may also see duplicate instances of the server components with in the BlackBerry Administration Service web console.

You may utilize KB20515 to remove decommissioned BlackBerry Enterprise Servers via the BlackBerry Administration Service web console.

However, since you are running an older version of BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express (5.0.1) there is a known issue where you may not be able to remove the decommissioned BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Components. Should you encounter this issue, you may wish to contact BlackBerry Support for assistance.

You are also running Microsoft Exchange 2010, which you should consider upgrading your BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express to 5.0.4 to better facilitate communication with the Exchange 2010 environment.

My recommendations are as follows with scheduled downtime;

1.  Install the BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.0.4 against the existing BlackBerry Enterprise Server to both upgrade and resolve the mapping records and then remove the previous named BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Components.
  2. Uninstall the existing BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express and Install the BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express 5.0.4 on the same machine creating a new database. Utilize the BlackBerry Transporter tool to migrate the users from one server to the other.

In either case you should also remove and install the latest MAPI CDO 1.2.1 version if you haven’t already. This will provide an EXMAPI version of 6.5.8244.0.

Let us know if you have any further questions regarding this specific request.

MAD-VIKING
Please use plain text.
Contributor
SergeyL

Hi MAD-VIKING,

Thank you for detailed explanation.

But, is there any risk to loose devices activation  if i'll install the BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.0.4 against the existing BlackBerry Enterprise Server ? 

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
MAD-VIKING

Hello SergeyL;

There is no risk of losing the users if you are installing against the same database, since this is where the main user information and server information is stored.

I do recommend taking a backup of your existing database and place it in a location other that the default SQL backup location.

Another point to note is that once you do this type of install, as previous outlined, you will have two BlackBerry instances when viewing the server information in the BlackBerry Administration Service web console. Once the installation is complete, you will need to move the users to the new instance. You will see this option at the bottom of the screen when viewing or managing users.

Let us know if you have any further questions regarding this specific request.

MAD-VIKING
Please use plain text.