Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Regular Contributor
Randy_PSO
My Device: Curve 8330

No MS Office support; DocsToGo no solution with BPS

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

It seems that an attachment received can be edited using DocumentsToGo only if the attachment comes in through a POP account not associated with the Exchange email account, or by using the Blackberry DesktopManager software and not BPS.

To restate, using BPS and Exchange, users will only be able to read, but not create new or edit any MS Office application.

Is this correct?

This seems highly unusual since all of the other handhelds I just migrated off of had the ability to at least edit. Now it seems our mobile users are in the field, seminars, Exec Director meetings, etc, and cant even modify a budget? This has to be incorrect, and I obviously have overlooked something. I can’t believe that as big as RIM is, we can’t even edit MSOffice apps.

If this is true, are there third party apps that will provide at least EDIT ability?

Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne
My Device: Bold

Re: No MS Office support; DocsToGo no solution with BPS

That is correct.  BPS does not support native attachment downloading and updating.  You need BES 4.1.5 or newer for that.

BPS is a cut down version of BES ... here is yet another reason to use BES and not BPS.

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
Regular Contributor
Randy_PSO
My Device: Curve 8330

Thanks Andy, not good news, but at least I know.

This seems to be less a "server" issue as opposed to a "hh" issue though. I have two email accts; Exchange (XX@company.org) and my personal email (xx@mydomain.com). I sent an MS doc file to both email addresses. The attachment from company.org only allowed opening and viewing, yet when I went to open the attachment from mydomain.com, I was given the option to edit the attachment through DocsToGo. I then took the company.org email and forwarded it to mydomain.com, and upon receipt, I was able to edit it as well.

So, to my other question, since DocsToGo is developed by DataVis and not RIM, being a 3rd party app, are there other 3rd party apps that would provide this solution to be able to edit?

Randall A. Mitchell

Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne
My Device: Bold

Maybe something like eOffice?
------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
mrlaw711
My Device: 8530

I have narrowed my new phone search down to a Blacckberry Tour 9630, a curve 8530, a HTC Hero or a Samsung Moment.

My provider as well as the Blackberry literature states I can edit and view MS 2007 office documents with either of the phones I am considering.

Coming from the technology ranks I tend to be quite distrustful of most vendors, and thus moved into a segment of law - computer law and now am addressing the area of robotics laws.  When a company misrepresents itself to me I work hard to procure a free device.

Blackberry seems to have some nice business apps even if their display is too small and their Qwert keyboards are designed for a mini-me.

Any help on this?  had to search to find if I would be geeting BES or BPS

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

With BPS you should be able to save the attachment and then open it on the device.

With BES you dont have to do the extra step to open it.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor
ThePro
My Device: Not Specified

Sorry to hijack this post, but I do have BPS 4.1.4 and a Bold 9700 and I do not see how I can save an attachment to the device and open it with the DocsToGo application...

Any tips ?