Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Trusted Contributor
kbe
My Device: PlayBook + Z10 + Z30
Accepted Solution

[OT] PlayBook: wich data service is used?

[ Edited ]

Hi,

slightliy OT but maybe someone knows:

I purchased a playbook. AFAIK i can not manage the PB with the BESX, right?

Now my BB has a data plan for BB Email using the blackberry.net APN with 50 MB per month.

In addition i have a second data plan with 1 TB for normal internet usage when connecting with the "normal" APN from my provider (web.vodafone.de, wap.vodafone.de). This is normally not used because most apps use the BB APN.

Can someone tell me what way data travels when the playbook is connected via bridge to the BB and im using the browser or youtube...

What if the playbook is also connected to WIFI when bridged with the BB?

I don´t want to spend the whole 50MB from the BB data plan for playing around with the PB. Would be nice if i could force to use the 1TB data plan from the BB if the PB is only connected with bridge an no WIFI is avaiable.

TIA

Karsten

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: [OT] PlayBook: wich data service is used?

kbe wrote:

Hi,

slightliy OT but maybe someone knows:

I purchased a playbook. AFAIK i can not manage the PB with the BESX, right? You need Fusion to manage it

Now my BB has a data plan for BB Email using the blackberry.net APN with 50 MB per month.

In addition i have a second data plan with 1 TB for normal internet usage when connecting with the "normal" APN from my provider (web.vodafone.de, wap.vodafone.de). This is normally not used because most apps use the BB APN.

Can someone tell me what way data travels when the playbook is connected via bridge to the BB and im using the browser or youtube...

What if the playbook is also connected to WIFI when bridged with the BB? It should use wifi first.

I don´t want to spend the whole 50MB from the BB data plan for playing around with the PB. Would be nice if i could force to use the 1TB data plan from the BB if the PB is only connected with bridge an no WIFI is avaiable.

TIA

Karsten

I am not sure about the data path of the hand set when bridged and using you tube.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Trusted Contributor
kbe
My Device: PlayBook + Z10 + Z30

Hi,

thanks so far.

What i figured out right now:

- connected to WIFI with PB and bridged: traffic goes over WIFI

- connected bridged only: not all apps work, e.g. youtube app asks for WIFI, other traffic uses the BB data plan

- connected in modem mode and bridged: youtube app seems to use the modem connection over the web.vodafone.de APN (not the BB data plan), other traffic seems to split between blackberry.net APN and web...APN according to a data monitoring app on my Bold9900.

I don´t have so much apps right now running to be sure, but it seems most apps use the fastest way. Some apps do not work with the BB data plan over the blackberry.net APN

I guess the bridge browser will always use the BB data plan (did not check this in detail) while the PB browser seems to prefer and use the modem connection with the normal data plan if avaiable.

cu

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Thanks for the feedback from your testing

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V