Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
hypercat
My Device: Various
My Carrier: Various
Accepted Solution

Offsite installation of BESX and subsequently connect to an existing SQL database

I think this is straightforward but I just want to confirm my own thinking. I'm installing a new SBS server for a client who has an existing SBS domain. The new AD domain name is slightly different from the existing one. The SBS server is currently running the BESX software but the BESX configuration database is on a separate SQL server. This SQL server will be moved to the new domain, and I want to maintain the existing Blackberry Configuration Database so that I don't have to reprovision all of the devices.  Is this possible?

What I was thinking I could do is:

1. Install BESX on the new server and create a local database, which will be empty.
  2. When I bring the new server onsite, I will move the existing SQL server from the existing domain to the new domain.
  3. Then I will connect the BESX on the new server to the BESX database on the SQL server that has the existing Configuration Database on it.

Is there any reason that this won't work?  The only thing I'm concerned about is that the current version that is running is 5.0.1.4 and I believe the current downloadable installation version is 5.0.2 or above.  Will this cause problems with the configuration database? If so, can I upgrade it in place? 

hypercat
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Offsite installation of BESX and subsequently connect to an existing SQL database

Is it in the sme exchange org? if not then you have to wipe each device and activate on new BES.

BES 5.0 supports an Exchange Resource Forest configuration.

Good article on Exchange resource forest config
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998031.aspx

Multiple AD forests should be ok as long as

1) There is a two way trust between them
2) They are all within the same Exchange organization

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
hypercat
My Device: Various
My Carrier: Various

Re: Offsite installation of BESX and subsequently connect to an existing SQL database

The domain name is the same. However, the old server is Windows SBS 2003 with Exchange 2003, and the new one is Windows SBS 2008 with Exchange 2010.  The two servers will never be directly connected to each other. The SQL server is a separate member server which will be unjoined from the old domain and joined to the new domain with the same name. The Blackberry database is on the SQL server but the Blackberry server software is installed on the SBS machine. I figure I have two choices:

1.  Install the Blackberry Server software on the new server with its own database, and reprovision all the devices.

2.  Install the Blackberry Server software on the new server with its own database, and then change the database connection to the SQL server when that server is joined to the new domain.

My question is, then, if I choose to #2 path, will I be able to skip the step of reprovisioning all of the devices? That was my hope, but if that won't work then I will simply go with path #1.

hypercat
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

hypercat wrote:

The domain name is the same. However, the old server is Windows SBS 2003 with Exchange 2003, and the new one is Windows SBS 2008 with Exchange 2010.  The two servers will never be directly connected to each other. The SQL server is a separate member server which will be unjoined from the old domain and joined to the new domain with the same name. The Blackberry database is on the SQL server but the Blackberry server software is installed on the SBS machine. I figure I have two choices:

1.  Install the Blackberry Server software on the new server with its own database, and reprovision all the devices.

2.  Install the Blackberry Server software on the new server with its own database, and then change the database connection to the SQL server when that server is joined to the new domain.

My question is, then, if I choose to #2 path, will I be able to skip the step of reprovisioning all of the devices? That was my hope, but if that won't work then I will simply go with path #1.

1 Since they are not in the same exchange org, it will be wipe and activate.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.