If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Super Contributor
pg1181
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Fido
Accepted Solution

Preparing files for BES server (to be pushed to employees)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

What are the exact steps I have to follow to gte my app onto a client's BES server so that they may push it to their employees? I know how to do OTA from our server but have never tried on someone's BES.

Is it just COD files and ALX files I need to provide them?? Also, is it usually a better idea for their IT dept to download the necessary files from somewhere on our server rather than just sending it to them by some other means?? (I'm guessing this would be good for updating purposes)

Thanks a lot.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
gbeukeboom
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Preparing files for BES server (to be pushed to employees)

You would just need to provide the COD and ALX files. A way for them to retrieve updates would be great too.

Is you app on App World? A neat feature of the BES is that it can allow certain apps from App World to be downloadable while preventing others. This means that users could install from App World and use the built-in upgrade functionality of App World as well.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
pg1181

Thanks Garett,

Yes our app is on App World and I had mentioned that ability to them, but unfortunately they just won't have it.

Also about the COD files, should I split them up? I remember I had to do this when putting our app up for OTA download because the COD was too big.

What I mean by split up is that I have one COD file and one ALX file in my deliverables folder. For OTA I had to open the single COD file with winzip and extract all the smaller individual COD files from it. Do I have to do this for BES as well??

Thanks again for your help.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
gbeukeboom
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

You should *not* split up/extract the files. When deploying from the BES the files must not be extracted or it will cause issues.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
pg1181

[ Edited ]

Thanks.

Would they be able to decompile my COD file and get the code?? I've heard of a tool called ------ that can do this. (I wasn't able to post my message with the name of the program in it)

Please use plain text.