Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Migrating BES Express to new hardware?

raymo12 wrote:

Well since I totally hijacked this thread let me start from the beginnig as I'm confusing myslef at this poing.

Had a Mod make it into your own.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Contributor
raymo12
My Device: BES 5.0.3

Thanks!

So how does this look for a testing / migration plan?

Migrate user BES accounts to new BES server using Transporter tool – Test BES mail flow, verify no reactivation needed etc.

Mailbox test local client and routing – With BES enabled user already on new BES server move mailbox to new MB server and verify mail flow to blackberry, OWA, and local client access rerouted to new mailbox correctly

Move other users in same manner then move BES admin mailbox last.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

that should work

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Please use plain text.
Contributor
raymo12

Migration is next weekend

So since I have a new BES and Exchange that I am migrating too when I move the first user to the new BES will nothing work unitl I move the BES admin account?

I know once I move the BES admin mailbox all the other users need to be moved over too but not sure about the BES migration part first

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

it wont matter when you move BESAdmin since you are going from 2010 to 2010. Just make sure you apply the proper permissions on the new store.

also follow this when ready

How to move the BlackBerry Enterprise Server service account mailbox

Please use plain text.
Contributor
raymo12

I moved over 2 test accounts via the migration tool and they are working fine. I know that if I mover their mailboxes over now that will break them until the external DNS is changed correct?

I know an active sync device failed beacuse mail.company.com resolves to the external IP of the server in Site A and once they were moved to Site B it was a no go.

I'm trying to plan out my migration steps mailbox and BES accounts.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

active sync has no real bearing on BES, you should be able to move a mailbox with out a user knowing on 2010

Please use plain text.
Contributor
raymo12

OK, I guess I was thinking that because the MB server the account was being moved to was in another site there would be an issue. Something with the Exchange server certificate?

Thanks for the clarification. I'll test with this account now.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

the SSL cert is for active sync which you publish the location via DNS

Sounds like you are doing more than just a server upgrade if you moved it to a new site

BES is not going to care so long as it is in the same exchange org

Please use plain text.
Contributor
raymo12

Yes so whe built up new exchange servers and a bes server in a new site within the same domain. The site is located at a cloud hosting provider. There are site to site vpn to the sites from HQ.

Site A is the current CAS and MB server location. The servers at Site B are within the same domain and exchange org.It also has the new BES server

We know we need to change external DNS come migration day to the Site B location for mail flow. Our SAN cert is good but we are going to add the SAN name for the new CAS server as well.

I moved the BES user to the other BES and it was all good. Once I moved their mailbox to the new MB server mailflow works but not to the blackberry. I'm not sure what I'm missing since the blackberry is not using active sync?

Does the blackberry device need to be restarted, or services on the new server?

Please use plain text.