Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
rob5r
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

SBS2003 with BPS - User <username> not started - Permissions Problems

Just re-installed BPS 4.1.4 on a Windows SBS2003 box.  Had previously been installed without following installation instructions - permissions were not set, etc. but was working for one user (small office).  When I came in to set up a new user it would add the new user but not activate (didn't check the logs) so I uninstalled, set permissions in AD & ESM as per the RIM instructions.  Now I can add the users to BB Manager, it generates password & emails it.  When activation is attempted on handhelds the ETP file shows up in the inbox, activation stalls until it says Server not responding. Contact your sysadmin.

In the Blackberry logs and application log I am getting EventID 20154 "User <username> not started" and 50079 "1 user(s) failed to initialize". I have run IEMSTEST.exe and the BPSAdmin user account is NOT able to create a folder in either of the users who will be using the BPS, it is obviously able to do it on it's own mailbox.  I have checked and re-checked all permissions, read through this and other forums in the last 24 hours, read any and all troubleshooting and instructions I could find.  In the process I have learned a good deal that I did not know but have not gotten much closer to a solution.  I have run all the tests on the Blackberry Server Configuration Program and they all pass.

I am a jack of all trades, master of none when it comes to this so I really don't know much about MAPI, the MSDE database connection, or BPS but would greatly appreciate any help or suggestions.  I'm thinking it has to be a permissions issue although I've checked all the permissions no less than 5 times.  One thing that sticks in my head was upon first re-installing I did have an issue identifying the database to use but as far as I can tell that is ok now.

Thanks for any help!

Forums Advisor I
bbinmyhart
My Device: Z10

Re: SBS2003 with BPS - User <username> not started - Permissions Problems

How about besadmin Send As permission on user mailbox?  Does etp message disappears at some point? If it does not activation will never work. That points eventually on permission issues. Do you use Cashed Exchange Mode for Outlook?
New Contributor
rob5r

I did try adding besadmin send as permission on the individual users mailbox.  ETP message never disappears - have ended up manually deleting the older ones.  Sounds like permisison issues which is what I thought but can't track down where or if it might be an issue with permissions propegating down?

Yes to cached exchange mode.  What effect does this have and/or should I stop using it?

The environment is only about 10 - 15 users and only 2 are using BBs.

Forums Advisor I
bbinmyhart
My Device: Z10

Try activating using wire as that bypasses email portion of wireless activation. If cached mode is the problem then that should work. ETP message is not to be opened, attachment striped or checked by antivirus, junk email etc. If you do so, wireless activation will not work.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Did you recheck from this doc?

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB01946&slic...

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
rob5r

Have not rechecked from that particular document but will do so.  That is a helpful list of the exact perms required.

I also am going to try activation by cable but I have little faith in that succeeding as I am still getting the log messages indicating that the user was not initialized.

New Contributor
rob5r

I will not be working on this issue again until after business hours today but wanted to see if there is any possibility that this may be a database issue.  My knowledge of how the database works is minimal.  I have run the BB Server Configuration test and it seems to indicate that it is ok but if someone could point me in the direction of more information to verify the database is set up ok, if such a thing exists, I would be very greatful.

Thanks

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

If the DB tested ok dont worry about it. You are on a fresh install and the permissions are whats wrong.

Just go slow and follow the DOC.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Super Contributor
RobertP
My Device: Classic, Passport

Folow 100% the instructions in this document and it will work. But you have really to do EVERYTHING and JUST so how its is decripted in the document.

New Contributor
rob5r

I believe all is now resolved.  I am just waiting to hear back from the two blackberry users to make sure everything is working right.  The one BB which had been previously connected to the BPS seemed to be working correctly and the other one was able to activate so it should be fine too.

After going to the server and connecting them one at a time via cable I was still unable to activate because of the permission problem that obviously still existed.  After running through all of the instructions again as suggested I still was not able to activate and the IMESTest was still not able to create the folder.  At the suggestion of the 2nd post in this thread ( http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=BlackBerryEnterpriseSolution&thread.i... ) I checked the permissions of the actual mailbox store.  For whatever reason the BPSAdmin account was not even listed on the Security tab for the mailbox store so I added it, added the correct permissions (Send,Recieve,Administer) and was able to activate both by USB cable.

Thanks so much to everyone who responded as you all helped point me in the direction to find and fix the problem.  Learned quite a bit in the last few days although I am still far from expert.