Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
MerryBerry
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

SQL database creation error

Not sure if someone else has posted this before but I am trying to install BPS 4.1.4 on a virtual machine hosted by SBS2008. Here are some mor edetails. 

Virtual Machine: Server 2003 R2 x86 (all updates are installed)

Database: MS SQL Express 2005 with SQL Server Management Studio Express

Exchange Server 2007  

Permissions applied: I have added and rechecked all permissions from here http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB02276&slic...

The error I am getting when BPS tries to create the database is "An attempt to install the database was unsuccessful. An error occured while executing an SQL statement." 

Has anybody else encountered this? 

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: SQL database creation error

Please double check your SQL permissions and make sure you enter your SQL server info correctly (I have made that mistake a few times.)

IIRC it is \\Servername\SQLExpress\BESmngt if you used the createBD.exe tool.

Also

1. If you are using Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express or Microsoft SQL Server 2005, complete the following steps:
  2. Go to Start > Microsoft SQL Server 2005 > Configuration Tools > SQL Server Configuration Manager > SQL Server 2005 Network Configuration.
  3. Select the Microsoft SQL server instance that is used to house the BlackBerry Configuration Database.
  4. Right click on Named Pipes and select Enable.
  5. Right click on TCP/IP and select Enable.
  6. If you enabled a protocol in step c, restart the Microsoft SQL Services.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Contributor
MerryBerry

OK. Interms of SQL permissions I used the SQL Manager and added the BESAdmin account as a serveradmin and dbcreator under Logins. I will try this one and let you know.  
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

BPS or BES can be fun to install, with all the diff permissions it needs.

Let us know how you are progressing.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Contributor
MerryBerry

Ahh! Im stuck on this. I've installed a couple of BES and BPS before but they were all on environments with Exchange 2003. I am having quite a challenge with this one because it is on a virtual machine and this client is using Exchange 2007 on SBS2008. I still got the same error after re-installing. Maybe this detail would help, I also encountered the error that the "mapi32.dll may not be the latest version and the exchange server is not detected and I should check the permissions". But I read a post about that and I should just ignore it and continue with the install. Do you guys have any other ideas? Or am I missing a permission? I checked the Send-As, Receive-As and the admin rights on the Infomration Store and the Exchange-View-Only rights were given properly as well. Any help would be appreciated. 
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne
My Device: Bold

Ignore the error.

Make sure you have Microsoft Exchange Server MAPI Client and Collaboration Data Objects 1.2.1 installed and set the appropriate permissions .

If you've done that you're all set ... continue.

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
Please use plain text.
Contributor
MerryBerry

Yes the version of the MAPI client and CDO is 1.2.1. That's is where I got my copy. However, when I ignore the warnings about MAPI and proceed I get 

"An attempt to install the database was unsuccessful. An error occured while executing an SQL statement." 

I followed knottrype's post above and also used SQL Management Studio to apply the serveradmin, sysadmin, and dbcreator roles for  the domainname\BESAdmin account. Right now I'm thinking of deleting the virtual machine and recreating it. 

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne

If you look in the install log (which I think defaults to somewhere in the %TEMP% directory) you can see what statement it is failing on.  If you have already attempted an installation and it fails the best thing to do is start over from scratch.

1) Delete the BESMgmt database

2) Grant the BESAdmin account the sysadmin role

3) Start the installation again

Has the database been created yet? (any shell at all) ... perhaps SQL is installed in an instance and not the default instance too ...

If you want to post the install log here or send it to me in a PM I'll post back the relevant content here ... just be sure to post a link to this thread in the message you send me .  You can also email me at BBAndyDufresne@gmail.com.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
MerryBerry

[ Edited ]

I think you are right. I checked event viewer and I found that this one. 

Event Type: Error

Event Source: MSSQL$BESMGMT

Event Category: (2)

Event ID: 5170

Date: 6/9/2009

Time: 6:16:34 PM

User: domainname\besadmin

Computer: BLACKBERRYPS

Description:

Cannot create file 'c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\BESMgmt.mdf' because it already exists. Change the file path or the file name, and retry the operation.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Data:

0000: 32 14 00 00 10 00 00 00   2.......

0008: 15 00 00 00 42 00 4c 00   ....B.L.

0010: 41 00 43 00 4b 00 42 00   A.C.K.B.

0018: 45 00 52 00 52 00 59 00   E.R.R.Y.

0020: 50 00 53 00 5c 00 42 00   P.S.\.B.

0028: 45 00 53 00 4d 00 47 00   E.S.M.G.

0030: 4d 00 54 00 00 00 00 00   M.T.....

0038: 00 00                     ..      

So what do I do? Just go to that path and delete the entire  Data folder or just the BESMgmt.mdf? Sorry, I'm very poor with SQL stuff. 

Message Edited by MerryBerry on 06-09-2009 09:33 PM
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne

Within SQL Management Studio make sure any BESMgmt database is deleted.  After doing that go to the path and delete any file with BESMgmt in the name (most likely you'll just see BESMgmt.mdf and either BESMgmt.ldf or BESMgmt_log.ldf).  After you delete them and have confirmed the sysadmin role is properly assigned run the installer again.

Please use plain text.