Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
hutchingsp
My Device: Not Specified

Send As issue with Protected Groups (Exchange 2003)

Hoping for a little help here as frankly I'm struggling.

Just setup a BES Express and I'm running into the "red x send as issue", the behaviour is the same using a normal Outlook profile so I'm not sure the BES itself is the issue.

I've followed the guides and permissions are correct, and I seem to be running into the Protected Groups issue as I'm in one, and I want to test a BB handset.

So, I followed Method 2 here: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB04707

And now if I look at my AD account, on the security tab the besadmin account is present and has "send as" permissions, yet I still can't "send as" using the besadmin account even within Outlook.

I've not restarted the Store but we're well beyond 2 hours now as I did the fix last night.

We're running a Windows 2003 R2 domain with Exchange 2003 SP2.

Thanks in advance.

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Send As issue with Protected Groups (Exchange 2003)

possible you had an email sent with in the 2 hours?

if so then restart of the store is needed to clear the cache.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor
hutchingsp

Thanks, I did restart the store but it made no difference.

I then created a new account in a protected group and waited a while and tried to do a "Send As" in Outlook on a PC logged in using the besadmin account - no luck.

I'm now trying "Method 1" in the work around (the dsacls batch file).

My BES is actually switched off as I figure the key here is to ignore using a Blackberry and get "Send As" working using Outlook.

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

let us know how method 1 works.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Contributor
hutchingsp

[ Edited ]

knottyrope wrote:

let us know how method 1 works.

In short, it did thank you.  Thankfully I had to disappear so the 2 hour wait on the Information Store wasn't so bad.

Not bad going in many ways, from zilch to working BES express in an hour, then a day spent messing around with Microsoft AD ACL's but hey ho...

On the plus side, first impressions never having touched a Blackberry or a BES are very good, miles better than our current (non) solution.

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

BES is an amazing product, there are a few things to learn as it isnt so straight forward.

Read up more in the manauls and you will get there.

keep coming back with more questions.

Contributor
hutchingsp

Thanks.  Any "you must try this" suggestions?

I have six devices on trial for a month, 93xx's running 5.x I believe.

With BESx by default they're routing browser traffic through our LAN/firewalls so get corporate filtering policy, files seems to pretty much "just work", and I intend having a look at encryption and password policy.

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

hutchingsp wrote:

Thanks.  Any "you must try this" suggestions?

I have six devices on trial for a month, 93xx's running 5.x I believe.

With BESx by default they're routing browser traffic through our LAN/firewalls so get corporate filtering policy, files seems to pretty much "just work", and I intend having a look at encryption and password policy.

you will need a password policy since the devices can access the LAN with out the need for a VPN.

We do a simple 4 character with 1 hour time out.

For internet access, by default the will use BES to surf, thus using your LAN / firewall.

you can choose a different browser

KB16463 - How to change the default browser on a BlackBerry smartphone

For OS 6, you have to make some changes to BES.

Simplified browser selection in BlackBerry Device Software 6.0