Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
MSMMSM
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: T-Mobile
Accepted Solution

Simultaneous BESX and external mail access questions on BlackBerry mobile phones

Hello all,

After successfully setting up our BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express and getting everything up and running  smoothly quickly and without hiccup (also thanks to few guys on this board), I've now received few more questions from my users that made me think about how some things work.

Basically, we use BESX and Exchange and I am familiar with system arhitecture and message flow in that scenario. Now, our users also want to use their private e-mail addresses (e.g. hotmail/gmail/...) on their BlackBerry mobile phones, so I've decided to first test that scenario myself. I've entered mobile phone setup and decided to add my Hotmail account, but was first asked to create BlackBerry ID. I've decided on creating BlackBerry ID with my hotmail e-mail address as username. After successfully completing that part of setup, I can now receive and send messages from Hotmail. What I don't understand, and what I want to understand is how things work in the background.

In short, I am interested in following:
- what is the connection between BlackBerry ID and mobile phone? ... can I use same BlackBerry ID on multiple mobile phones? ... how do you guys manage BlackBerry ID's in Enterprise environment? ... do you leave it up to users to register themselves or do you manage it for them in some way?

- I've noticed that e-mails that I've sent using hotmail account, and that can be viewed through both mobile phone and Hotmail web site, have added signature "Sent via T-Mobile Instant email from BlackBerry". What is the connection between T-Mobile Instant email and procedure that I've done? ... What is the message flow when receiving and sending messages through Hotmail using BlackBerry mobile phone? ... is it the RIM infrastructure that caches login data for Hotmail, and checks/sends/receives mail through it, relaying them to my mobile phone, or is it phone that constantly (in some interval) does that? ... note: all of our users have BlackBerry Enterprise Business Solution data tariff (i am not certain how that tariff is called worldwide).

I know I have lots of questions, but I am new to this, and I have problems finding documentation for this scenario. If my questions can be answered from some available documentation, I'd be more than happy to read it.

Thanks, MSMMSM

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
kbe
My Device: PlayBook + Z10 + Z30

Re: Simultaneous BESX and external mail access questions on BlackBerry mobile phones

[ Edited ]

MSMMSM wrote:

Hi,

see my answers in red:

Now, our users also want to use their private e-mail addresses (e.g. hotmail/gmail/...) on their BlackBerry mobile phones, so I've decided to first test that scenario myself. I've entered mobile phone setup and decided to add my Hotmail account, but was first asked to create BlackBerry ID. I've decided on creating BlackBerry ID with my hotmail e-mail address as username. After successfully completing that part of setup, I can now receive and send messages from Hotmail. What I don't understand, and what I want to understand is how things work in the background.

In short, I am interested in following:
- what is the connection between BlackBerry ID and mobile phone? ... can I use same BlackBerry ID on multiple mobile phones?

The BB ID is the username for the BIS Server (in your case the Telekom BIS). The BB ID is also used for BB Appworld when you start it the first time.

... how do you guys manage BlackBerry ID's in Enterprise environment? ... do you leave it up to users to register themselves or do you manage it for them in some way?

My users have to manage it and they have to keep their password / username remembered.

- I've noticed that e-mails that I've sent using hotmail account, and that can be viewed through both mobile phone and Hotmail web site, have added signature "Sent via T-Mobile Instant email from BlackBerry".

The signature can be set in the options of the Internet Email Accounts on the Phone or on the BIS Server through the online portal:

T-Mobile Germany BIS

What is the connection between T-Mobile Instant email and procedure that I've done? ... What is the message flow when receiving and sending messages through Hotmail using BlackBerry mobile phone? ... is it the RIM infrastructure that caches login data for Hotmail, and checks/sends/receives mail through it, relaying them to my mobile phone,

Yes, the BIS from T-Mobile is somehow acting like your BES, but for POP3 / IMAP accounts. It takes the provided login data, checks for email and push them to your phone.

With the BB ID you can simply switch a phone when it´s broken or lost, and the account settings for the private accounts come back to the new BB after the BB ID is entered when starting the Internet Email Accounts setup on the new phone.

Just think of it like a second instance of a BES Server that just manages the private mail accounts of your users and has no connection to your company BES.

note: all of our users have BlackBerry Enterprise Business Solution data tariff (i am not certain how that tariff is called worldwide).

[EDIT: just forgot to mark this text red so did it in edit mode]

The name and condition are not the same over the world. In Germany the BES data plan should also include traffic to the BIS Server. AFAIK all traffic that uses the blackberry.net apn (thats the name with Vodafone Germany, not sure if it´s the same at T-Mobile) is included in the BES data plan and the BIS is also using this apn.

I know I have lots of questions, but I am new to this, and I have problems finding documentation for this scenario. If my questions can be answered from some available documentation, I'd be more than happy to read it.

Glad if it helps you. It took me a long time to find all this info and to understand the difference in data plans, BIS vs BES, etc. Also the fact that you can use a BIS data plan to enable a BB for a BESX Server seems not to be true for Germany. It may work in other countries but in Germany i had to switch my data plan (called "Tarif" in german) from Email Connect to Email Connect Enterprise (thats how Vodafone call it) to get the BBs activated on BESX.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Simultaneous BESX and external mail access questions on BlackBerry mobile phones

good answers kbe

more on email, BIS and BES use push email. the device does not check anything at all

once an email is detected on BIS server it is pushed to device PIN and can be as fast as BES.

RIM NOC (servers that do the work) is the middle man in this and accesses your hotmail account 24-7 to send to device

BIS is personal dataplan whcih will work on BES express in most countries.

BES is a corporate dataplan which usually includes BIS but not in all countries. It also works on all BES in almost all countries.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Contributor
MSMMSM

Thanks to both of you guys! ...  knowing what you wrote, I had much less difficulties in deciding how to define our policies. Also, communicating with our provider technical support regarding problem with one BlackBerry user external mail access was a breeze (while solving problems with that user BIS/BES plans, program that our provider technical support is using, managed to link user blackberry id with PIN0, basically disabling BIS service for him).

As for that "Instant e-mail" part of my initial message, I was mostly confused because I created my BlackBerry ID account and couldn't use it to connect to my provider BlackBerry "Instant e-mail" but saw "Instant e-mail" mentioned in message signatures. Technical support told me that unfortunately RIM doesn't use BlackBerry ID for "Instant e-mail" in our country (contrary to e.g. Microsoft that uses Live ID account (Microsoft account) for everything), but that after creating BlackBerry ID, I've also got username in their "Instant e-mail" system (albeit, disabled and without password ... these are their words) ...

Anyway, thanks once again!

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

and for those times when you are not sure if a device has teh correct dataplan or not.

It is a BESAdmin rite of passage to go through the gauntlet of correcting the right BES data plan with your carrier.

Under Manage Connections on the device (OS 5 and higher), there's a services status which tells if connected to the data network.

For BES dataplan testing.

Want to check if a device is provisioned correctly?

https://www.blackberry.com/besc/dashboard/

Then use the Enterprise Activation Readiness tool.

All at absolutely no cost to you or your organization!

The BESC gives you a suite of valuable tools, and includes a Complimentary Support Incident should you need to contact BlackBerry Technical Support directly.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Please use plain text.
Contributor
MSMMSM

Hello knottyrope,

I've used BESC to check status for all provisions, but I had a case with one device (PIN) where everything seemed correctly activated, but Enterprise Activation option was not available on the phone (even after turn off/on, battery out/in, reregistering on network, all HRT-s in). It turned out that provider either activated BIS instead of BES (their words), or didn't completely done everything on its part to activate BES. In any case, I always use BESC before exchanging clients old phones for BlackBerry ones ... I definitely consider it useful :smileyhappy:

Thanks, MSMMSM

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

yes i have seen an odd instance where BIS was taking precendence before BES, carrier had to remove both and add back in BES and the activate BIS. Me telling teh carrier made it work, they said nothing was wrong. It does not happen that often but I had it twice in last 3 years.

Please use plain text.