Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
groditi
My Device: Not Specified

The right product to route outgoing mail through a custom SMTP server

Hi, I currently have ~100 people using BIS, which works great for recieving email. The problem is that there is no way to provide a custom SMTP server and I am required to keep archived copies of all outgoing email, which is impossible unless users route their email through my SMTP server. The description of the BPS, and BES products is very confusing and seems to fail to provide any meaningful technical details, so I've come here to ask, what would be the apropriate solution if I want to allow my users to route their outgoing email through my own SMTP servers. I have them using Logic Mail right now for outgoing messages, but that solution is horrible. I could migrate all my users to handsets that provide actual SMTP/IMAP support, but I don't want to force handsets on anyone and everyone seems happy with their respective BBs. So what is the appropriate solution for this kind of problem?

I don't need calendaring, or synching or security profiles or anything else, I just need email to go through my SMTP server. My current email architecture is based on a small pool of linux SMTP servers and a pool of  linux IMAP (dovecot) servers. Does RIM offer a solution for me, or would I need to try to set up a MS Exchange server for the sole purpose of capturing outgoing email?

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: The right product to route outgoing mail through a custom SMTP server

Even with BIS accounts users can still change SMTP server to their liking.

But with BES and Exchange you will ensure all email is captured and can control devices with ITPolicy.

BES can do alot more than BIS.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
groditi
My Device: Not Specified

Maybe I misspoke, I was under the impression that we have BIS, but I may be wrong. What we currently have is various plans from various carriers and Internet and email access on our BB devices. Is BIS a different service? How can I tell what I have, or how do I change the settings for my smtp server?
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

BlackBerry Smart phones have a BIS account, usually when connected to a BES Server will they have a BES data plan.

On the HH you can define SMTP setting or with in the BIS mail account.( I dont use BIS anymore)

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
bbhorrigan
My Device: 8900

Read through this, and it will help you understand the diffreance between BIS and BES

http://www.blackberryforums.com/rim-software/680-faq-what-methods-receiving-email-blackberry.html

If someone helped you give them kudos. Research all info!
Please use plain text.