Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
dopegroove
My Device: 9700
Accepted Solution

Unable to logon to BlackBerry Administration Service on BES Express

[ Edited ]

We have a customer with a BES Express installes that we are unable to logon to any more.  They get the error 'he username, password, or domain is not correct.' even though the creds are correct.

Whenever  we go to the BlackBerry Administration Service logon page, the logon fails. We know the log on is correct because we we can logon to the server it's self witht he bes account, just not the web page.

Whenever we try to logon, we get the following in the BBAS-AS logs:

javax.security.auth.login.LoginException: _performLogin LOGIN ERROR:  login returned exception (domain not found) com.rim.bes.bas.usermanager.CouldNotGetActiveDirectoryDomainException: Message: 'LOGIN ERROR:  loginLocal Failed to get GC server information. com.rim.bes.basplugin.activedirectory.CouldNotGetExchangeGCInfoException: Message: 'LOGIN ERROR:  _getExchangeGCInfo Failed to get Global Catalog server name for domain <Domain> com.rim.bes.basplugin.activedirectory.CouldNotGetGCInfoException: Message: 'getGCHost could not get global catalog information from DNS, javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: DNS name not found [response code 3]; remaining name '_ldap._tcp.Default-First-Site-Name._sites.gc._msdcs.<Domain>'', nested exception: 'DNS name not found [response code 3]'', nested exception: 'Message: 'getGCHost could not get global catalog information from DNS, javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: DNS name not found [response code 3]; remaining name '_ldap._tcp.Default-First-Site-Name._sites.gc._msdcs.<Domain>'', nested exception: 'DNS name not found [response code 3]''', nested exception: 'Message: 'LOGIN ERROR:  _getExchangeGCInfo Failed to get Global Catalog server name for domain <Domain> com.rim.bes.basplugin.activedirectory.CouldNotGetGCInfoException: Message: 'getGCHost could not get global catalog information from DNS, javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: DNS name not found [response code 3]; remaining name '_ldap._tcp.Default-First-Site-Name._sites.gc._msdcs.<Domain>'', nested exception: 'DNS name not found [response code 3]'', nested exception: 'Message: 'getGCHost could not get global catalog information from DNS, javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: DNS name not found [response code 3]; remaining name '_ldap._tcp.Default-First-Site-Name._sites.gc._msdcs.<Domain>'', nested exception: 'DNS name not found [response code 3]'''

Server info:

Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard (SBS)

BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express for Microsoft Exchange 5.0.2 (Bundle 14)

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition  9.4.5000.00

MS Excahnge 2010

Local SQL

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Unable to logon to BlackBerry Administration Service on BES Express

Stop BAS service and then start it. Wait 5 min for it to start up and try to lon on.

Notice the time of login (need this for the logs)

Java been updated? Dont update it, it is not needed but check the following

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB14697

Also modify this key, it seems to get the wrong value during an upgrade for some.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BAS-AS\Parameters\JVM Option Number 3

-Xmx1024m
by
-Xmx768m

Look at the BAS AS logs located here by default
C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerryEnterprise Server\Logs

as of SP3 certain special characters are no longer allowed in password e.g. !, _?

Then take a look at this KB.

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB24220

BAS wont open on 2008 R2
http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB23927

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dopegroove

I did note the time of the last logon  and I have the results here:

I attempted logon at 15:05 PM

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/135768/BASissue1.txt

I am not sure that  the restt  fot athat applies to me. My  issue appears to be caused by communication between BAS and Active Directory.  Also I do not beleve there is a service pack 3 for BES Express 5.

Thanks for any input you have!

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I know BES express is at Service pack 3 and also MR 1.

who wrote this? :smileywink:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Professional-Software/Current-patch-level-of-BES-E...

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dopegroove

[ Edited ]

OK... you May know what you you are talking about. :Oops:

But to be clear,

You are saying that my besadmin AD  account password that contains a non alphanumeric character will not work?

Is that passord issue tied to the orginal error that I got about not logging on to the domain? Tha Java error seems to point to it not even seeing the global catalog server so it can attempt to authenticate.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
rsnooks87
My Device: N/A

We are having the same problem.

The account we use will not login to BES under AD Authentication.

Logs so the following.

(09/03 12:50:18:614):{http-servername.domainname%2Fipaddress-3443-5} [com.dstc.security.kerberos.jaas.KerberosLoginModule] [ERROR] login failed: Kerberos error creating ticket: com.dstc.security.kerberos.KerberosError: Clock skew too greatKrbError:Error code: 37Error message: nullClient name: nullClient realm: nullClient time: nullServer name: krbtgt/domainnameServer realm: domainnameServer time: Sat Sep 03 12:56:39 BST 2011

(09/03 12:50:18:614):{http-Servername.domainname%2Fipadress-3443-5} [com.rim.bes.basplugin.activedirectory.ActiveDirectoryManagerBean] [INFO] [ADAU-1000] {u=SystemUser, t=1440} _loginAsLDAPUser failed to authenticate LDAP user=USERNAME, realm=DOMAIN, KDC=SERVERNAME.DOMAINNAME javax.security.auth.login.LoginException: Kerberos error creating ticket: com.dstc.security.kerberos.KerberosError: Clock skew too great^^^ctrl-10^^^KrbError:^^^ctrl-10^^^^^^ctrl-9^^^Error code: 37^^^ctrl-10^^^^^^ctrl-9^^^Error message: null^^^ctrl-10^^^^^^ctrl-9^^^Client name: null^^^ctrl-10^^^^^^ctrl-9^^^Client realm: null^^^ctrl-10^^^^^^ctrl-9^^^Client time: null^^^ctrl-10^^^^^^ctrl-9^^^Server name: krbtgt/DOMAINNAME^^^ctrl-10^^^^^^ctrl-9^^^Server realm: DOMAINNAME^^^ctrl-10^^^^^^ctrl-9^^^Server time: Sat Sep 03 12:56:39 BST 2011

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dopegroove

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dopegroove

OK so to bring you up to date:

1. I tried to change java setting  for the BAS  (\JVM Option Number 3 to -Xmx768m) as recommended but when I logon, I still get the same 'The username, password, or domain is not correct. Please correct the entry.' error.   In the BAS logs, I get the same error that  meantioned before about 'DNS name not found' . Similar logs can be found here http://dl.dropbox.com/u/135768/BASissue1.txt.

2. I verfied that the password we use does not have any unaccepable characters in it.

3. I looked through the 'How to perform basic troubleshooting on the BlackBerry Administration Service' KB but that does not appear to apply because I can get to the page, I just can't logon.

4.  The 'BlackBerry Administration Service continually stops and restarts, after an operating system hotfix is applied' KB does not apply the BAS service are working with issue. The only stops and starts of the BAS-AS are from me.

Any more tricks to try? :smileyhappy:

Thanks once again for your help!

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

Please use plain text.