Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
leeifer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Upgrade issues/problems with BES Express 5.0 from Exchange 2003 to 2010

FIrst forum post so bear with me!.

We have been running BES Express 5.0 successfully on an Exchange 2003 server for the last two years. Thought it was about time to start upgrading Exchange to 2010 so added a new 2010 server to our domain but all mailboxes / BES environments remain unchanged.

After a few days of running both 2003 and 2010 servers, users were no longer able to send messages from the handsets. The little red X (sent using: desktop secure - desktop email program unable to submit message). Still receiving emails fine.

Did some googling and found a lot of mention of the Send AS issues - ran iemstest on both the exising and new exhcange servers and returns the error no send as permissions on both.

I have checked the AD Advanced Features settings, checked inheritance etc and checked the individual email accounts - and the BESAdmin account DOES have send as permission. As per http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/software/send​as.jsp and http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/software/send​asfaq.jsp). I also downloaded the setsendaspermission tool which ran OK.

I added the dethrottling policy on the 2010 server and ran the get-mailboxserver | add-adpermission commands and get the warning: The appropriate access control entry is already present.

Nothing useful in either of the Windows Event logs and am swamped with the huge amounts of data in the BES logs - not sure what I should be looking for in them either.  

I have searched this alot and most forum posts start with the default answer of check the send as permissions or protected somain groups (as mentioned above) but the strange thing here is that the BESAdmin account is showing as havng all of the correct AD secuirty seend as permissions for every single user. We don't have any protected users (eg domain admins) and our BESadmin account is not a domain admiin either.

The other interesting thing that has stopped working is the administration service - I installed the stand alone admin service on the new server and added a DNS pool - but now can't login to that either. Restarted both servers, switched off firewalls, restarted router service but still unable to login and nothing useful in any of the error logs.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Upgrade issues/problems with BES Express 5.0 from Exchange 2003 to 2010

Check your BES version number

1) Go to the Add or Remove Programs Control Panel applet (Start > Run > appwiz.cpl )

2) Locate the reference to "BlackBerry Enterprise Server", select it and then click "Click here for support information.".

3) The publisher listed should be "Research In Motion" and the Version will be the exact version of BES currently installed.

Also you can learn more about the MR level with the bundle number too.

Let us know what you have

Did you follow the steps in this? 

How to migrate the BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.0 from Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 or 2007 to M...

Did you also edit teh NSPI limits on your 2008 DC?

Where is BESAdmin account now?

Did you move uses yet?

What version CDO.DLL is installed on BES?

KB04912 - How to check if and where the CDO.dll file is registered on the BlackBerry Enterprise Serv...

CDO 1.2.1 from here
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=94274318-27c4-4d8d-9bc5-3e6484286b1f&Displa...

KB15779 How to install or upgrade CDO 1.2.1

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
leeifer
My Device: Not Specified

Hi,
Thanks for the info.

I have now moved the BESADMIN account to 2010, CDO was already installed but there were a couple of things on the 'How to migrate' KB which I wasn't aware of which seems to have solved the problem - particularly changing the MAPI profile from 2003 > 2010. Interestingly the IEMSTEST tool still fails but the user cn now send mail and the other chekcing tool comes back success:

Get-Mailbox -Identity "<Display_Name>" | Get-ADPermission | where { ($_.ExtendedRights -like "*Send-As*") -and -not ($_.User -like "NT AUTHORITY\SELF") } | select Identity, User, ExtendedRights, IsInherited | FT -Wrap

So at the moment, everything seems to be working successfully.

thanks again

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

your welcome, the test can fail even when done right. some times it is because the BESadmin account has a space in the name

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Please use plain text.