Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
Winyu
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Using Blackberry Professional Software in Thailand

Our company is located in Thailand. We are planning to start using 1 - 5 Blackberry phones in our organization but do not totally understand Blackberry services available. We are currently using Microsoft Exchange 2007. The phone service provider we are using here in Thailand (AIS) also provides BES and BIS but we will not consider BES at this point due to the cost VS number of CAL. We want to go with BPS but still have some questions as listed below;

1. The phone service provider claims that they do not have Blackberry Professional Software available. But from BPS description in the Blackberry website, I understand that the BPS is not provider dependent. Our company has to buy the software and install it on our existing server ourselves. We then buy the Blackberry phones and the BIS plan from our phone service provider to get the signal and set up the connection to our Microsoft Exchange via BPS by ourselves in order to synchornize them. Am I correct?

2. If BPS is not provider dependent, can I combine several CALs using different providers to sync to MS Exchange? There are two Blackberry providers in Thailand and staffs already registered their existing numbers (no Blackberry service attached yet) with both providers already. Otherwise, some staffs has to carry two phones or change phone numbers.

3. Does the reliability of Blackberry Pushmail (especially during international roaming) depend on GPRS / EDGE signal by phone service providers only? What makes it more reliable than the MS Exchange Pushmail in terms of network signal? For example, if we have two staff travel together, one using Blackberry and the other on using MS Exchange and both using the same phone service provider. Will they both not get email if the network fail or have problem with GPRS / EDGE?

Thank you in advance for the help.

Regards,

Winyu 

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne
My Device: Bold

Re: Using Blackberry Professional Software in Thailand

I've put my answers / comments in line with your questions, in bold

Winyu wrote:

Our company is located in Thailand. We are planning to start using 1 - 5 Blackberry phones in our organization but do not totally understand Blackberry services available. We are currently using Microsoft Exchange 2007. The phone service provider we are using here in Thailand (AIS) also provides BES and BIS but we will not consider BES at this point due to the cost VS number of CAL. We want to go with BPS but still have some questions as listed below;

1. The phone service provider claims that they do not have Blackberry Professional Software available. But from BPS description in the Blackberry website, I understand that the BPS is not provider dependent. Our company has to buy the software and install it on our existing server ourselves. We then buy the Blackberry phones and the BIS plan from our phone service provider to get the signal and set up the connection to our Microsoft Exchange via BPS by ourselves in order to synchornize them. Am I correct?

>> You need to have a BES plan on the phone, not a BIS plan to work with BPS.  Other than that, you are correct.

2. If BPS is not provider dependent, can I combine several CALs using different providers to sync to MS Exchange? There are two Blackberry providers in Thailand and staffs already registered their existing numbers (no Blackberry service attached yet) with both providers already. Otherwise, some staffs has to carry two phones or change phone numbers.

>> See #1; BPS / BES is carrier independent.

3. Does the reliability of Blackberry Pushmail (especially during international roaming) depend on GPRS / EDGE signal by phone service providers only? What makes it more reliable than the MS Exchange Pushmail in terms of network signal? For example, if we have two staff travel together, one using Blackberry and the other on using MS Exchange and both using the same phone service provider. Will they both not get email if the network fail or have problem with GPRS / EDGE?

>> BES / BPS is not more reliable per say.  In fact, I would say it is less reliable as it requires another transport mechanism.  Exchange DirectPush is communicating HH <> Server.  BPS / BES is BPS/BES <> RIM <> HH.  That said, I still pick BlackBerry every day due to the experience with the handheld.

In terms of network signal purely, they are one in the same.

Thank you in advance for the help.

Regards,

Winyu 

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Winyu
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Using Blackberry Professional Software in Thailand

Thank you very much.
Please use plain text.